1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd HR 21-100 issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by xrobmn, Oct 16, 2009.

1. xrobmn

xrobmn Legend

Oct 22, 2007
    Hey everyone..

Didn't see this listed (sorry if it is).. since the last National Release, seem to have an odd issue (or could be bad timing on the part of the DVR)..

I have a SWM setup.. I have an OTA antenna connected to the HR, as we do not have HD locals yet on D..

If I am watching a show on the OTA antenna, and want to switch to something else from the dish, the banner will come up and I get nothing but a black screen. Change channel (either to SD or HD), banner changes, shows the show info, but black screen.. The res. lights never change if going from HD to SD.

Now, I can get into the menu.. and check things out.. if I go to the signal strengths, it hangs and won't let me in to do anything..

If I wait, then it might come back after a while but be super slow..

I need to do a RBR and then it works.. sometimes.. but if it comes back to the HD OTA channel, I'm screwed..

The only other odd thing is.. If I leave it on the SD local that is off the dish.. I come back home from work.. turn it on.. It'll have the wrong channel showing (but the banner and everything is right).. I bring up the guide.. go to my local channel, hit enter.. looks like it's changing.. and wrong channel comes up.. I can go to any other channel and it's fine.. just gets slower until I have to RBR it..

Not sure if they are linked.. temp is 95 or so on the box.. and I have a lot of recorded shows (about 80% left. but some good shows to watch still :) )

Any ideas?

2. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    this may sound foolish, but do you have ota hooked to am21 unit that is then hooked to hr21-100 or are you connecting ota directly to one of the sat inputs?
    if the latter you can't do this

3. xrobmn

xrobmn Legend

Oct 22, 2007

Not foolish to ask.. I do know better not to do that (but I'm sure there are some that aren't.. I've installed my own SWM and tweaked my dish a few times :) )

Anyways.. no. it's directly into the OTA port on the back of the unit..

Just started since about the time of the last update.. drives the wife nuts when I have to reboot it.. or I just need to make sure not to use OTA..

4. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    thats just it, on an HR21-100 there is no ota input. it uses an am21 unit that is hooked usb to the HR21.

on an HR20-100 (20, not 21) there is an ota in.

if I assume its an HR20 I would ask if your ota is its own separate run or is it combined (diplexed) with your swm runs?
    I had some really funky issues on 1 HR20-100 with diplexed ota including blank\grey screens. not as bad as what your having, but I had to swap out diplexer brands.

5. xrobmn

xrobmn Legend

Oct 22, 2007
    Oops. It's a HR20-100.. made a typo.. ugh.. lnot sure how to edit the subject..

I have the OTA right to the box.. I guess I'll keep on digging and try and figure it out.. hmm

6. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    its possible the box is bad, it does happen. but if it were me I'd start looking for coax issues on both systems or a splitter/ground issue on the antenna system.
    are you running any sort of amplifiers? I've not had the issue but have heard you can over-amp it and that may cause issues.

7. xrobmn

xrobmn Legend

Oct 22, 2007
    No extra amp's here.. there is a small built in amp in the antenna (needs it to run as well)

What I have is a Radio Shack HD indoor antenna (sort of looks like a UFO).. it's in our upstairs.. it is hooked up to a a coax wall jack that runs to our utility room.. then it has s splitter with one run to the DVR in our family room (having the issue) and the other runs to the OTA on a HE20-700 in our bedroom, which seems to have have an issue..