1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd sports blackout in NJ

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Guesst925XTU, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU Legend

Jan 28, 2004
    Ocean...
    I live in Ocean County, NJ (ZIP CODE: 08008) and am considered by DirecTV to be in the NEW YORK CITY DMA. We get all the NYC broadcast channels as a result.

Today's Philadelphia Flyers / Atlanta Thrashers game on SportsSouth HD (Channel 649) is blacked out.

I have the Platinum package.

While Philadelphia is the closest city to my home, and I am considered Philadelphia market for most things**, DirecTV considers me NEW YORK, so why is the PHILADELPHIA sports game blacked out??

** = Philadelphia Inquirer home market, WaWa territory, Coca-Cola's Philadelphia bottling district, Frito-Lay's Philadelphia distribution area, etc.

2. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Sports blackouts have nothing to do with your DMA. I can tell you, for example, that Lancaster PA is in the home market for 4 different baseball teams.

3. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    New York is the WORST for hockey blackouts... good luck getting a straight answer. Up here in Albany, we get the Sabres as our "local" team, even though all the NY/NJ teams and even Boston are closer. What's worse, is we get all the NY teams as long as the Sabres aren't playing!

I'm guessing you're blacked out because the Devils are on right now.

4. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Also, SportSouth doesn't sound like your local RSN, either. Platinum or not, you have to watch your local team on your local RSN no matter what.

5. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    Most of Ocean County would be blacked out as the Flyers claim that area.You'd have to watch the game on CSN,which is NOT carried by D.
    I have a friend in Brielle,Monmouth County who is gets the games fine & right across the Manasquan River in Point Pleasant Beach,Ocean County, another friend of mine is blacked out (1 1/2 miles).I live in Middetown & I get CI & VS Flyers games with NO problems.If the game is on the NHLN the blackout extends into our area. It is messed up yes,but that is how it is.

PS. Funny thing,I was on LBI in Ship Bottom (08008) at 5PM tonight !

6. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    LBI.....Gotta love Scojo's in Surf City:D

7. Tom B

Tom B Cool Member

Nov 27, 2005
    I live in Ocean County too. (On the northern edge of the county.) It has always been somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes I get the Flyers games as part of CI and sometimes they are blacked out.

8. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I think you have it there, Sports South wouldn't be the RSN for NY/NJ or PA. If you want to watch the game on Sports South you'd need NHLCI.

OP also mentions they have the Plainum Package, I thought it was history?

9. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Sports Pack doesn't get you OOM games, period. Someone from California with Platinum/Sports Pack would have had the same issue. To get the game, you would've needed Center Ice.

10. lman12

lman12 AllStar

May 23, 2007
    A little off topic but related. Is there any area is South Jersey where Directv has neighboring locals available? In other words can you get both the Philly and NYC network stations and RSNs based on a specific zip code in one of the Southern counties such as Burlington, Ocean, Monmouth, Cape May...etc?

11. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    I doubt it. I live in Central NJ, in the NY DMA, where Philly stations are considered "significantly viewed" by the FCC. When I had DirecTV, I couldn't get the Philly locals. Now that I switched to Comcast, I get both NY and Philly locals.

If there were a place where DirecTV offered both NY and Philly locals, it would be along the DMA border, in places like Lambertville, Princeton, or New Egypt.

12. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    The Flyers game would still be blacked out on SportsSouth regardless of what package he had .CSN would be his RSN in that part of Ocean County and he'd need to watch the game on cable since D doesn't carry CSN.

13. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    Charlotte, NC is considered to be the territory of Atlanta, Baltimore and Washington. NHL and NBA games are always blacked out on 646 and 649 (the Atlanta RSN's). I don't mind because I don't like hockey or basketball, but Directv's blackout rules are ridiculous when it comes to baseball. Whenever a Braves, Orioles or Nationals game is being shown on MLB Network, it gets blacked out because they're a local team, whether the local RSN is showing the game or not!!! And today, Cincinnati vs. Colorado is being blacked out. The only other channel the game is on is Ohio RSN 661, which I don't get since it's out of market. For some reason they consider (whenever they feel like it) Cincinnati to be a local territory team here in Charlotte. Very aggravating!!!

14. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

Directv considers you to be in the new york sports market, and so the Philadelphia market (Which is considered to be out of market) is blacked out because it is out of market)

15. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I am near Lancaster and get blacked out of Pittsburgh events on FSN Pittsburgh.. although I have MLB EI and NHL CI and I don't get FSN Pittsburgh as an RSN of mine.

16. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA

LOL.....Baltimore and Washington. Why?

17. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    Don't ask me. All I know is they're both carried on MASN, which was the joke of the HD RSN world as recently as a year ago, but will broadcast all 162 games of each team in HD (on MASN and MASN2).

I'm a Yankee fan (yes, yes, you can stop applauding now) but I love baseball and I will watch Nationals vs. Pittsburgh if the game is in HD.

btw, the worst RSN's for HD are the Braves. For some reason they have 2 RSN's here (SportsSouth and Fox SportsSouth) and more often than not they show games in SD, unless the team they're playing broadcasts in HD and they can borrow the video feed.

18. spankey

spankey New Member

Sep 26, 2007
    I have another odd NJ sports blackout question.

I am in Mercer County and receive Philadelphia local channels, yet I get the NY RSN's.

When the Yankees and Mets have games on WWOR and WPIX, will I be able to see the game with Extra Innings since I don't get those channels in my area?

19. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Some of the territories claimed by baseball teams go back decades and haven't been changed. Until the Braves moved to Atlanta for the 1966 season, the closest MLB team to Charlotte was the Washington Senators, and Baltimore's not too much farther away. Presumably, when the Nationals moved to Washington from Montreal, they inherited some "historical" territories.

20. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Actually, when the Mets or Yankees are on SNY or YES, it should be blacked out in Mercer County, since Mercer County is considered the Home Television Territory for the Phillies, but not the Mets or Yankees. If the blackout rules are applied correctly, the only way you could watch the Mets or Yankees in Mercer County is with Extra Innings (or an antenna which can receive NY OTA stations).

Below is a map of MLB Home Television Territories:

[​IMG]