1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Odd Storm Interruption Messages

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by What is TV?, Sep 23, 2013.

1. What is TV?

What is TV? New Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Accuweather tends to alert for storms nowhere near, but the last one, yesterday evening, was for a thunder storm, with intense rain, that was in our area. While we were watching a program, and recording another on a HR-22, the storm arrived. It had been raining off and on for a while, but now it was intense, and dthe thunder quite loud. Storm center was likely north of us, and as the house is direct-gain passive-solar, it is oriented to the south, we did not see the lighning.

An usuual message appeared, stating that there was a problem with Tuner #2, and giving instructions to check the cables to the receiver and to check the dish; the latter instructions was not one I was going to do under the cirucmstances. The second entry in the message said to press Select; I have no idea what Select is, having no such buttton on my Logitech Harmony One remote, and having never see that word on the TV screen as far as I recollect.

I chnaged channels, which brought up a working progrram, so switiched back to the one we were watching; now, the program seemed to be on the tv screen, but frozen. After a short while, it started working again.

I presumed that the problem was really a "Searching for Signal' one, although that message, which I have seen a few times during severe weather, did not appear, and that the recorded program would have a gap in it. When I went to play the recording, there was a mesage about a gap due to transmission problems. I watched the one-hour-long program, and never saw a gap; it might have been there during a commercial break as I was fast-forwarding, but as I knew about how long before the end of the live program the interruption had occurred, I did watch for a gap in the recorded program around that same time, and did notd see one.

Is what I saw about Tuner2 having a problem something that replaced the former searcing for signal message, or some other mysterious other whatever ?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    SFSS in tuner 2 means that tuner 2 is not getting satellite signal. there can be circumstances where one tuner gets a signal while the other one don't. an example is if you are watching SD on tuner 1 and tuner two is recording an HD broadcast. since HD sats are more susceptible to rain fade, tuner 2 might not get a signal in this case

3. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    is this the new rain fade message? because i get this message also

4. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    See post #2

5. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    if i knew what SFSS mean, i wouldn't asked

6. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    SFSS is Searching For Satellite Signal which in this case would be rain fade

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    opps, you should ahve ask what SFFS stand for

8. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    thanks

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    BTW, on my Harmony remote the "OK" button is the "Select" button on a DirecTV remote.

10. What is TV?

What is TV? New Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Thanks for the explanations. I ought to have mentionned that this was a very fast-moving storm; I estimate that the intense rain only lasted a minute or two.

I believe that both the live and recorded programs were HD, but am not positive about that.

Any idea about the mesage in the recording that it had been interrupted? If it really was, would that not have caused the usual "We don't know where our satellite is, and are looking for it" message to have appeared, rather than the Tuner 2 message that we did get?