1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Win 8 wireless adapter behavior

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Cholly, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I have Windows 8 on my primary desktop computer andam using the Windows 8 startup button addon to run the classic interface once logged in. I initially get a strong wireless connection on my 5 GHz link, but after about 20 seconds I get a "no connection available" indication If I wait a while, I'll either get "connections available" or get reconnected. No further problems.
    Why should I get connected, then disconnected, then connected again? :confused: I never had a problem like this with Windows 7.

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I've seen intermittent or continuous negotiation with some routers and bridges when the security doesn't match. For example - WPA2 with either TKIP or AES or both.

Perhaps they have a mis-match in their client negotiation. Have you googled the problem?

Edit: This looks close . . http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ernet-in/ddf79723-64f2-45d5-ab58-4bd22ab8a15e

Edit2: You might check the wireless driver mfg for a Win8 driver upgrade / update.

3. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    When i installed Windows 8, I first ran a check to determine what if any drivers had to be updated. There was no problem cited for my computer's wireless adapter or for my router. As to setup, all is correct. I initially get a valid connection to my router's 5 GHz radio, then a disconnect. For a short while, I see a statement that no connections are available, then get a short scanning period, followed by connections available and a valid connection to my 5 GHz radio. A check of the driver for my adapter says it's up to date.