1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off air local channels

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by SThacker, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 1, 2006 #1 of 29
    SThacker

SThacker AllStar

May 24, 2005
    Good morning all,

I am contemplating going with a roof top antenna instead of the indoor antenna but was wondering if it was worth it if I already subscribe to local channels through dish? My main reasson for getting the 622 iwas the fact sometime this year dish is going to start broadcasting local digital channels for my area. To reiterate my question would it be a waste of money if I bought an outdoor antenna if I already subscribe to local channels?

Thanks

P.S. I've had decent luck with my 622. I've had a few audio issues on Rave. I am very happy with my 622. Hopefully they resolve the problems and make it a much more stable platform.

2. May 1, 2006 #2 of 29
    jpage4500

jpage4500 Mentor

Jul 29, 2005
    One reason to keep an outdoor antenna up even with local HD channels is you can record 3 shows at once (1 off-air and 2 sat). It doesn't happen often w/me but there are times when it will come in handy - esp with some shows going over the typical 1-hour blocks.

3. May 1, 2006 #3 of 29
    kbdrand

kbdrand AllStar

Apr 16, 2006
    Is your indoor antenna on top of your TV or in the attic?

I've found that by placing a very large outdoor antenna in the attic I can get all of my digital signals (even being 30+ miles away from the towers) without having to mess with putting the antenna on the roof.

4. May 1, 2006 #4 of 29
    dewey brunner

dewey brunner AllStar

May 1, 2006
    I agree, I have my outside antenna in the attic with stations about 40 miles away. I have subscribed to locals, however, my hd locals come from the outside antenna. There is no telling when dish will get hd locals, with the exception of cbs in some areas.

5. May 1, 2006 #5 of 29
    c_caz

c_caz AllStar

Jul 14, 2003
    I have a cheap ($25 RatShack) outdoor UHF antenna in the rafters of my garage. Works very well and is not seen. I have Dish locals on SAT, but typically watch the OTA channels as they include more beyond the 4 networks (PBS, UPN) and when the weather gets real bad they aren't prone to fading as much as my SAT locals on 129. That and you can record 3 things at once which I do more then I thought I would.

6. May 1, 2006 #6 of 29
    Cold Irons

Cold Irons AllStar

Dec 7, 2005
    I have an outdoor antenna & would not give it up for anything. Two reasons:

1) Now can record 3 HD local network shows at once (one OTA & 2 Sat).

2) The OTA HD quality is quite a bit better than that on the Sat LIL HD networks.

7. May 1, 2006 #7 of 29
    SThacker

SThacker AllStar

May 24, 2005
    Thanks all for the replies, I do have an antenna on top of the tv. If I put in the attic, I would have to fish the wire down the wall and then run it out of wall to the receiver is this correct?

8. May 1, 2006 #8 of 29
    kbdrand

kbdrand AllStar

Apr 16, 2006
    Unless you already have an extra coax cable in the wall. I had the people who built my house install an extra coax for the antenna, which helped a bunch.

9. May 1, 2006 #9 of 29
    rbyers

rbyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    You could use a diplexer to join the OTA signal to the satellite signal and share one of the satellite's coaxes. Then you use a diplexer at the other end to separate the two into two coaxes that connect to the 622. Beats fishing wire down the wall.

10. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    Dish is only putting up the big four networks in selected cities so far. If you have any UPN/WB/Independent digital stations that you want to watch OTA, you'll probably want to keep that antenna up

11. SThacker

SThacker AllStar

May 24, 2005
    Thanks all for helpful advice

12. kbdrand

kbdrand AllStar

Apr 16, 2006
    How much signal loss or interference do you see with a diplexer like that? I might try that with some of my setups but I already have marginal OTA signals, don't want to degrade them even more.

13. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    Forget diplexers they can reduce OTA signal

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    A signal amplifier (if and only if the signal is attenuated too much) is a whole lot easier to install than fishing wires down the wall to each receiver. The insertion loss of a pair of quality diplexers isn't going to break the camel's back unless your already a candidate for an amplifier.

15. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    Diplexers are also a nightmare feeding power to the amp.

16. wingnut1

wingnut1 Legend

Nov 10, 2005
    I have mine setup with diplexers and have for several years with different receivers and even back to when I was with D. they work great and I haven't had any problems with signal loss due to them.

17. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    ST, whether you go roof top or attic is largely going to depend on your distance from the towers and how good you can receive signal. Also, if you are in an area that could potentially receive locals from 2 areas, you might want an antenna on a rotor which you could then face towards whichever signal you wanted (unless you are lucky enough to be able to get both sets without moving the antenna).

As others stated, I'd never give up my roof antenna now that I have it. And just because you have an antenna on the roof doesn't mean it has to be ugly. I have the CM 8 bowtie model, which is like 4'x4' or something like that. But on top of a two story house, on the back side fo the center line, it's barely visible, and it's in the spot with the strongest signal (installer had a signal meter for finding the best reception spot:) ) . As far as recordings and watching, I always use the OTA as my primary source, as OTA is less likely to experience loss. Since I watch nothing live, and I'll have no way of knowing if the sat lost signal during a show until I get around to watching it, I've gone the route of just recording as much as possible off the OTA :)

And the 3 tuners issue comes in handy this time of year, with shows like AI that move around and cause other programs to move around. Due to AI, the show Bones moved to Wed nights, and created the one time a week I need 3 tuners, hence you never know when you'll need that extra tuner and you'll be very happy when it happens (boy I hope I never need 4, I'll probably loose it :) hahaha)

18. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    When all your stations are from 40 to 71 miles you will find out how they reduce signal

19. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    mine are in the 50+ range, and the ota is diplexed into the house. I have a simple RS 15db amp at the receiver, and have no issues (unless you count a split second drop every now and then). that's a lot better than dealing with trying to run another cable down from the roof :)

20. SThacker

SThacker AllStar

May 24, 2005
    Rogueone,

How expensive was it to get the antenna installed? I am not sure exactly how to do it myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.