1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ok got a problem at work with digital changeover

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by DrUnKeN_TiGeR, Jan 11, 2009.

1. DrUnKeN_TiGeR

DrUnKeN_TiGeR New Member

Dec 2, 2008
    ok i work at an assisted living facility as a nurse but i usually do the electronic stuff too. so heres my problem WAY before i started they made a cable system that consisted of 9 dtv boxes (all of which only get one channel (SUCKS)) and an arial antenna (needs changed over to digital) so they purchased 4 digital boxes. The only problem is the BOX they have as part of the "cable system" wont accept the digital box because it doesnt register as on channel 3 or 4. i thought about a rf modulator but also has to be on either channel 3 or 4. so.... i the only idea i have is to use the rca's but there are no rca inputs on the BOX (again not digital converter) so im th im thinking maybe a way to use the rca output on the digital converter and change it into coax i belive this would work since rca outputs are not channel specific
    i hope this makes sence i would like to figure this out any ideas are appriciated if you have questions please ask
    THANKS
    DRUNKEN_TIGER

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I would suggest going over to www.avsforum.com and find user antaltmike. He installs systems like yours (and more complicated) for a living and would best be able to give you guys a reasonable solution.

3. DrUnKeN_TiGeR

DrUnKeN_TiGeR New Member

Dec 2, 2008
    thanks

4. samhevener

samhevener Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Just another one of the many problems and expense caused by the "shutdown". :mad:

5. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...

You could try a channel selectable RF Modulator such as the Dayton FAM-3 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=180-318). Channel Master also makes a fantastic 3 channel modulator but costs 3 times as much as the Dayton and works no better. You will need 2 units or purchase a single channel Dayton FAM-1 but for the price, I would go for the FAM-3 as FAM-1's typically sell for around $50.

All you do here is select the UHF output channel you would like each input converted to (i.e Digital Box 1 on Channel 15, Digital Box 2 on Channel 21, etc.). Just remember to keep some separation between each channel and try and stay away from assigning a channel number which is currently in use by a Full-Power TV station.

6. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    You don't need to change the antenna. Digital is the same wavelengths as analog was. The only reason you need to change it is if you are in a fringe area and need more surface area on your antenna.

The converter boxes are not made for cable systems. They are only intended to be end user devices that are attached next to the non-digital capable televisions. Get one for each TV as that is what they are made to do.

Why does everyone make this so complicated?

7. DrUnKeN_TiGeR

DrUnKeN_TiGeR New Member

Dec 2, 2008
    ok i dont guess i made myself clear i never mentioned changing the antenna we have a cable system each channel is a DIRECT TV BOX WITH ONE CHANNEL ON IT for example channel 2 on our cable is CNN... we will no longer be able to get local channels on our system without switching to digital so the digital converters would be somewhat similar to the Direct tv boxes if i do nothing then we wont have local channels... i need to find out how to make the locals digital AGAIN the converter boxes dont work i feel because they have to be on either channel 3 or 4

8. DrUnKeN_TiGeR

DrUnKeN_TiGeR New Member

Dec 2, 2008
    thanks for the suggestion but i dont think this will work because they already have a system like that with 13 channels its all already wired up and i am not going to nor will they let me change the setup other than minor things if this gets to complicated im gonna tell them to call someone else lol thanks though

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Definitely, there is need involvement of a professional.

10. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I'll see if there is anything else I can come up with but I think this may be a little out of my league..

Good Luck!

Edit: After going back over your OP, let's see if I understand this.

1) You have Master Distribution system with only Coax Inputs?
    2) You have an external antenna source (either OTA or basic cable)
    3) You now have 4 digital receivers without Coax Outputs?
    4) Are these digital receivers being left on a single channel?

Is your system using a configuration such as the following (example only)

The basic cable input/OTA input is providing channels 2 to 69 and each receiver is tuned to an enhanced channel (Digital receiver 1 is always tuned to HBO, Digital Receiver 2 is always tuned to Showtime, etc..)

11. Tower Guy

Tower Guy Godfather

Jul 27, 2005
  12. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Sam: The assisted living center is a commercial enterprise, not a private home. They have the resources to have the problem corrected if they care to do so. Where the problem gets sticky is in the rooms of the residents. Since the facility is not set up to provide the residents with analog feeds from digital channels, the residents will certainly suffer. It's not clear from the OP's posts as to whether they have satellite or cable, but it appears they have what amounts to a community antenna system. If so, they definitely need professional help.
    The same thing is true wherever people rely on community antenna systems rather than cable or satellite. The onus is on the community antenna system owner in most cases.

13. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I would purchase as many digital converters as necessary to provide one for each OTA channel you want to recieve. Then purchase the necessary modulators to allow each individual channel be transmitted on a channel of your choosing through your existing distribution system.

For me, I'd get two of these (3 if spanish is important) ($70 each)

http://www.summitsource.com/product_info.php?ref=1&products_id=7595

I'd then pick up between 6 and 9 digital converters at about $50.00 each.

ABC, CBS, and NBC would go on the first box
    FOX, PBS, CW on the second box
    MyTV, IND and Spanish on the third box.

Combine the output of the UHF modulators onto your system and you are done. (for about $750. I'd budget $1000 total for extra cables, combiners, amps and, of course, time)

14. joblo

joblo Godfather

Dec 10, 2003
    So you have 9 “cable” channels that you receive from satellite which are mixed with ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC channels that you get from the over-the-air antenna, is that correct?

If so, please identify where you are in West Virginia and post your complete channel lineup, so we can determine whether you are receiving full power signals or translators.

15. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The OP is describing a custom analog head-end system, using modulated OTA signals plus some DirecTV receivers. Likely they use integrated tuner/modulators for the OTA signals, and they're intended for analog OTA, and need to be replaced with a digital version.

We do this kind of work, but I'm a little far from West Virgina. As a few other folks have mentioned, this isn't something that's going to be a quick fix with some cheap consumer electronics. They need a professional who knows what he's doing and has access to the proper gear.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of a head-end, Dish-based in this case, that we put together for an office building. We've also done convelescent hospitals and apartment complexes.

16. DrUnKeN_TiGeR

DrUnKeN_TiGeR New Member

Dec 2, 2008
    DUDE u hit the nail on the head thats exactly what we have i guess we are going to have to buy new modulation boxes the maintence guy called yesterday and its gonna cost 1200/channel 1200x4=4800!!!!!!!!!! but i guess thats all we can do. we get the channels i hooked it up straight to the tv in the room that the system is in we get all the local digital channels so thats not a problem i dont know what else to do

17. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I re-read your first post again. It says that your system will accept signals only from Channel 3 or 4 and that the digital boxes you already have do not output to channel 3 or 4. If that is true, you can get a box that converts the RCA signals out to channel 3 or 4 at any Radio Shack or Best Buy/Circuit City.

This is assuming your first post is accurate and that your legacy system has channels/ports available t them.

18. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    The price you pay for having a commercial head-end installation. I stand by my recommendation that you need to get a professional (sounds like you have already talked to him) and get management to fork over or give up on local channels. Throwing additional channels into a system like this is not to be done lightly.

19. joblo

joblo Godfather

Dec 10, 2003
    Well, I agree with scooper and the others that this is a job for a professional, and management should spend the bucks.

But I'm still curious where you are, because I'm scratching my head trying to figure out where in WV one could or would build an MATV system using a VHF/UHF broadband antenna such that you could easily pick up all the digitals just by tapping the line. In Charleston, for instance, an analog installation wouldn't have required UHF. And most other places would require cut-channel antennas aimed in different directions, so going digital wouldn’t be as simple as swapping out boxes. Maybe Morgantown if you were getting Pittsburgh stations.

In any case, just make sure that whatever the professionals do for you is future-proof, in case one or more of your locals change channel assignment on Feb. 18 or later. Either feed the CECB outputs into professional grade modulators just like with the DIRECTV feeds, or make sure any integrated units are frequency-agile. In the Pittsburgh area, I don’t think that’s an issue, but in other places, it is.

20. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    I agree MikeW. What I am reading is that this is a facility with a simple system that has worked fine for some time. There are a couple of D* boxes connected to a distribution box, and there is an outdoor antenna connected to the box that feeds the analogs at whatever channel they are broadcast in.

Now comes digital and you need to convert the digital versions of each local channel back to analog so you can still use your trusty distribution box.

So if you don't want to do an expensive upgrade, just get a couple of $40 digital boxes with a channel 3 or 4 output from best buy or whatever big box store you like.

Conversely, if the issue is that channel 3 and 4 are already being used by your distribution box for a couple of d* channels, then you can use the digital converter boxes you already have, but you just need to get a couple of the uhf modulators that have been mentioned previously.

Either way, it sounds like there is a low cost alternative for your facility.

Of course, if gets to be too much trouble, you can just let the facility owners hire the job out. ;)