1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, I found something I like (frame backward)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by walters, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    For this most part this thing is a weak substitute for the six-year-old DSR6000 it replaced (just my opinion, which I'm not going to defend in bullet-list form, since it's the whole experience we're talking about here). But I have found one thing that I was impressed by.

All along I've been disappointed by DTiVo backward frame advance. Not that it's a feature I use a lot, but when I do it's quite annoying. I probably can't describe it completely, but if you've seen it you know. It basically just jumps way back when compared with forward frame advance. It's always been explained (to my satisfaction) as "just the way MPEG video works". Something about having to go back to the most recent complete frame (I-frame), skipping over all the deltas that got you from that picture to just 1/30th of a second (or whatever) ago.

Alas, the R15 seems to have true backward frame advance. It must be supported in the hardware they're using. :D

2. Halo

Halo Godfather

Jan 13, 2006
    I'd like it better if it didn't have the dumb time bar on the bottom of the screen when you do a frame advance. It gets in the way.
    You can get rid of it with 2 pushes of the blue button but it really shouldn't be there.

3. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006

Just curious but being we both got our R-15's (my 2nd) around the same time and have only 30 days to decide to keep them or not, are you planning to keep yours ?:confused:

I think :rolleyes: I am going to keep mine especially after this last update fixed many of the problems I was having :hurah: and another update is already going around.

4. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    What would be the benefit of returning it? There was no cost so there's nothing to refund. Is it the two year commitment? That's no big deal. I'll be with DirecTV at least through the life of my DTiVos, especially since I don't pay DVR fees. I don't use the R15 much, and it's worth having just so I can speak from experience here. :)

5. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    Just the renewal on the commitment is what makes me reconsider. I can't get HD thru DirecTV due to trees but already have a nice HD TV. I have been leery to recommit and waiting to see if Comcast ever puts the TiVo software on their 6412's which has been rumored for about a year now.

6. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    If it's a lease aren't you able to get out of that commitment by sending back the hardware?

7. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    If it's a lease then you have to send back the hardware. So what would then be the point of the commitment?

8. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    To make you send back the equipment. :lol:

I don't know I just recall reading all of that when some people where talking about early cancellation but then again I could be wrong. :)

9. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    The early cancellation of the subscription still costs you money (pro-rated by how many months you have left). One would guess that early cancellation fee is to re-coup the cost of the installation, etc.

10. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Ahh now I know :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.