1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, I like football in 3D

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by RAD, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1 of 15
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Watching the Boise State/Virginia Tech CFB game on ESPN3D, I like. Even the wife, who normally doesn't get impressed with techie stuff liked it. Now if ESPN can just get that one camera operator to learn how to focus his camera, out of focus 3D really does a number on your vision.

2. Sep 6, 2010 #2 of 15
    p3pilot

p3pilot Member

Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    I agree. Really enjoying the game. Some of the replay shots are amazing.

Had the same problem with focus early in the game.

3. Sep 6, 2010 #3 of 15
    Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Guess I'll have to put a 3D set on my Christmas list. :D

4. Sep 6, 2010 #4 of 15
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    why is this on N3D and ESPN3D?

5. Sep 6, 2010 #5 of 15
    Spoffo

Spoffo Legend

Dec 31, 2006
    I have to agree that the value-add from 3D is starting to appear. This game was certainly worlds better than the 3D World Cup or the All star game. However, there was still a problem with the original shots of plays where the action (e.g. a pass reception) took place in the far, far distance and really was only clear on replay. I don't know if it's not enough cameras, a problem rapidly re-directing and racking focus on the 3D cameras, or just a 2nd rate crew, but this has to get a good deal closer to the coverage standard we expect from 2D before I'll watch a game I really care about in 3D.

That said, I am encouraged and will certainly keep checking in as the season progresses and ESPN gets more experience.

6. Sep 7, 2010 #6 of 15
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Got to see a sample college football game demo at CES back in January - it was indeed very impressive, and added a whole new dimension (pun unintended) to the viewing experience.

My only issue with 3D HD at this point is the infancy of the current technologies offered...there will be further maturing still coming...but in the mean time - glad to see those with 3D HDTV enjoying what is offered in terms of programming.

7. Sep 9, 2010 #7 of 15
    valestij

valestij Cool Member

Jun 4, 2008
    I agree it looked pretty cool, but the original camera shots in some cases were horrible. You couldn't even see the pass down field in some cases.

The best live shots IMO were when teams where backed up near their own endzone and we got a low angle shot from just behind the QB coming from the back of the end zone. The depth looked really good in that case and you could see everything the QB/RB was seeing. They really need to utilize the wire cam better behind the QB w/ the 3D camera.

I have to slightly disagree with the earlier post the football is ahead of the MLB All Star game. Sports preferences aside, I thought the production quality of the All Star game by FOX (and n3D) was top notch compared to the football game. Didn't feel like you got the left over announcers, camera angles, camera crew, etc.

As a side note, I'm not seeing the Ohio St. vs. Miami 3D game in the guide for this Saturday. Anyone else have the same issue?

8. Sep 9, 2010 #8 of 15
    I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Well, If my GD TC-P65VT25 would ever show up I'd let you know what I think about it. :-}

9. Sep 9, 2010 #9 of 15
    balboadave

balboadave Legend

Mar 3, 2010
    It just showed up in my guide. There's a full slate of demos there too for the retailer 3D weekend.

10. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    I'll gurantee you this black friday great deals on led hdtv with 3D will be on sale. now do you have to have a certain pair of glasses, i assume certain ones are better.

can you provide any description on what it looks like in 3d vs hd

11. kstefanec

kstefanec AllStar

May 13, 2007
    I got to see the demo at the CES myself. Needed a barf bag next to me. Dramamine would have been helpful. Its been reported that 20% of the people get sick. Great technology for 1 in 5 people. How about getting all our channels in HD? This whole 3D thing has been fascinating to watch. What a lesson in creating the next thing "we just have to have."

12. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    So far five people have seen 3D in my home and nobody has gotten sick. :D

13. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Why don't the other 3 people like it?

14. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007

I have that exact model and love it!! 3D looks fantastic on that TV.. Best TV on the market right now. Hands Down.

15. ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave Godfather

Sep 15, 2007
    I think the 3D that will really go over good will be the kind that you don't need glasses and the images won't pop out of the screen but travel in to the screen.