1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok to temporarily put HR20 behind old multiswitch?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by LI-SVT, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    I am in the process of hooking up an SD TiVo next to my HR20. Being a bit short on cash until after the holidays I was going to use the multiswitch I was using with my dual LNB dish. As long as I stay away from the HD stations on the HR20 it will work right?

I have an eSata added so I can load it up with HD shows and watch them until I get a new multiswtch.

The set up will go like this:
    >Four lines from the 5-LNB dish.
    >Two go to an R15.
    >Two go to the den. Here I will add the multiswitch temporarily.
    >From the switch two lines each to the DVRs.

Later on I wll put a new Zinewell in the basement and run extra lines to the den.

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    The WB68 Zinwell needs to have all 4 lines from the dish attached to it. I am not certain you can do what you describe. A couple of the people here, well versed in this, hopefully will see this and chime in with good info.

3. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    That should work, but you'll ONLY be getting 101 on the HR20 and the SD DirecTivo. Make sure you redo satellite setup and tell it you only have a 1LNB dish.

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    In other words he will be losing all his HD channels.

5. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Yes, but he's aware of it, and it's what he needs/wants to do for the time being.

6. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Why not put one line into the SD tivo and one into the HR20. That way you would get the MPEG2 HD channels (which include CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox in the New York market). That will limit to one tuner each box.

But, if you can connect an OTA to the HR20, you can use two tuners if at least one is on OTA.

7. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    Yes this is the other option. I knew for sure that would work. My other proposal was a thought I had. I haven't yet gotten the TiVo in my hands, so there is still time to decide if I want two dual tuner DVRs or two single tuner.

I had'nt though to rerun setup for the 101 only, good idea.

Thanks guys.

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Either plan will work. One coax each to the two DVRs (in which case, the HR20 will get all HD), or the old multiswitch, in which case both DVRs will only get the 101 feed (and both should be set accordingly).

When you do get to "later on", you need to put the WB68 where you can connect all four lines from the dish to it's inputs, then run an extra pair of coax to your dual DVR location.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.