1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old DirecTV customer New H20 install.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by American&Proud, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 3, 2007 #1 of 17
    American&Proud

American&Proud New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Hi everyone, I have had DirecTV for 8-9 years now. I just bought my first HDTV a Mitsubishi WD-65732 ( signature has all the other components so I don't have to keep from retyping what I have with each post.)I called DTV on Saturday to order up a HD DVR the H20 I guess, They will be here MONDAY to install it , very fast I thought almost too fast as I had thought it would be a week or so's wait , Today Sunday I will be running out to best buy Magnolia to Upgrage my old Pioneer A/V Reciever to a new Pioneer ELITE ( see sig.) so I have it here for the upgrade install. I only had to pay a $19.95 "Handling Fee" to upgrade to the HD DVR H-20 and they will waive the $9.99 per month charge for 6 months, because of my long history with them. I told them I refused to pay $200.00 for a lease unit i'd have to return. so she set me up. I'm from the "ask and you shall recieve" old school I guess. Anyways my questions are about the install, I read and saved a PDF file here someone posted about it but wanted to know what can I really expect? Do I insist on replace ALL the cableing for the 3 units in service I was told I'd be getting Free Installation and a 5 LNB dish (well I said to her, I'll be getting a 5LNB right?) Do I insist on one to the installer? Do I insist on all new wirering? They run through the crawl space. Last time they upgraded my boxes to the D10-300's and the Hughs Tivo DVR they had problems . I had them come out for picture problems and they never really ever figured it out, I do know with the system "grounded" it had a bad picture so the installer just left it UNgrounded I made mention to the girl taking my new order that it will need to be properly grounded as I did not want to mess up my new HDTV she said she made a note to the order. So In reallity what can I insist on in the free installation? Will they hook up the system to the NEW A/V Reciever or will I have to start messing with that after he leaves? What about the oh now I forgot what it was I read some kind of block that the wires hook up to outside what should I be looking for there too? What cables can I expect them to use and HDMI cables? I have so many questions I know sorry. Any and all info appreciated as this install came up alot faster that I thought it would take to get it installed once I called my order in Thank you very much.

2. Jun 3, 2007 #2 of 17
    John4924

John4924 Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    First of all :welcome_s

And just so we are clear, the unit you are getting is the HR20.

In my case, the install only included one (1) [up to] 150' run of RG6 cable. They should install the 5LNB dish because without it, you will NOT receive any of the new mpeg4 channels, and they should properly ground it. The HR20 comes with a 6' HDMI cable.

My advice to you is to have everything ready for them to hook up your new HR20. In my case, I had every wire they needed [other than the second tuner cable] hanging out of my A/V cabinet. All he had to do was "plug them in". I am glad I did because my installer was not the sharpest tool in the shed, and he could not speak english very well.

I think the other thing you are talking about is a "multiswitch". He will only install if you require more than four (4) tuner cables in your home. Your HR20 will require two of this four.

My other advice is "be patient". Most of us here have had some mishaps along the way. But in the end, I believe you will be very pleased with this unit. I know I am because I now have three of them in my home. :)

Cheers,
    John

3. Jun 3, 2007 #3 of 17
    seminoles2425

seminoles2425 Mentor

Dec 26, 2006

Depending on the installer you may have to hook it up yourself. If you plan on having the A/V receiver before the install you can have a lot of the work done before they get there. Here is a list of audio/video cables that Best Buy carries since you said that you would be going there. Buying this in advance will help make everything go smoother.

I would pick up 3 of these cables. One for the HR20 that you will be having installed, one for your dvd player, and one for your cd player. The a/v receiver that you plan on buying has a optical input for the satellite receiver, dvd player, and cd player.
    Monster Cable - 4' THX Digital Fiber-Optic Cable U2 I600 FO
    Heavy-duty strain relief; HexMesh jacket; 2-step polish terminations; color-coded hookup

Our Price: $54.99 each

I would pickup two hdmi cables. One for your satellite receiver and the other for your dvd player. I would hookup the cables to your tv once you buy them. The hdmi cable for the dvd player you can connect it now. The hdmi cable for the satellite receiver can be connected to the tv now and connected to the satellite receiver once it is installed.

Monster Cable - 8' HDMI Cable for HDTV U2 V800 HD
    High-density triple-layer shielding; high-purity copper stranding; Duraflex protective jacket

Our Price: $149.99 each

Your total price for everything(Pioneer receiver, 3 digital optical cables, and 2 hdmi cables) before tax would be $1,655. Some places sell that a/v receiver for that much buy itself. If you do not want to pay that much for the cables that you need, Besy Buy does sell digital optical and hdmi cables from a brand called Acoustic Research. Acoustic Research makes a good quality product(I am currenty using some of their cables) and the cables do not cost as much as the same product would from Monster Cable. When you go to Best Buy explain to the sales person the equipment that you have and how you want to connect it to your television. They should be able to help you determine the type of and length of cable you need and may be able to have you more money than buying what I have suggested.

4. Jun 3, 2007 #4 of 17
    American&Proud

Jun 3, 2007
    Thanks for the welcome John, and the info. I just dont want a shoddy install and want it done correctly the first time. The wife uses the DVR in the bedroom I added the HD DVR version for the new 65 inch HDTV for her and the kids to use mostly. But I may play with it some myself. Thanks

5. Jun 3, 2007 #5 of 17
    American&Proud

Jun 3, 2007
    Thank you Seninoles, I will do that today the DVD player is already hooked up with HDMI cable and the D10-300 is hooked up to the HDTV now bt S-video cable I think I used. I want the best picture and sound quality hookup I can get . Again Thank you for your reply.

6. Jun 3, 2007 #6 of 17
    John4924

John4924 Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    If you need extra cables, I would not buy "Monster" from BB. Go to one of the sponsors here at dbstalk...

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

You will be very happy with their price, quality, and service :)

Cheers,
    John

7. Jun 3, 2007 #7 of 17
    American&Proud

Jun 3, 2007
    Thanks John I have heard others say good things about there cables and prices.

8. Jun 3, 2007 #8 of 17
    seminoles2425

seminoles2425 Mentor

Dec 26, 2006
    I had forgot all about them. If you don't have to have the cables today, then that is the route to go. The sell high quality products and you can't beat the prices.

9. Jun 3, 2007 #9 of 17
    finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    Welcome to the forum from a fellow south sider. There's a few of us down here. Any problems, just holler.:hurah:

10. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006

That is retarded for a HDMI cable. :hurah:

11. seminoles2425

seminoles2425 Mentor

Dec 26, 2006
    Yes it is. But some people will only buy certain brands no matter the price. Then you have some people that like to have their merchandise as soon as they pay for it and don't want to wait for it in the mail. I have a cousin and a neighbor that is like that. My cousin will only buy Samsung equipment. The only electronic equipment he has in his house that is not Samsung is his satellite receivers. He even has a Samsung cell phone and just recently purchased a washer and dryer set from Lowes that was made by Samsung. My next door neighbor only buys LG electronics. He even has a washing machine, dryer, and a refrigerator that is made by LG. The only electronic equipment that I have in my house is Sony, except for my washer and dryer. I don't have a problem buy anything off the internet, but my cousin and next door neighbor refuse to regardless of how much money they could save.

12. psweig

psweig Hall Of Fame

Feb 4, 2006
    Call DTV and say you have a "complicated" install and need a "senior" technician. First, think of something complicated to tell them. Good luck; I had a Great install and I said "don't send Allied".

13. blademaster

blademaster Cool Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Hey American and Proud have you ever heard of paragraphs? :)

14. American&Proud

Jun 3, 2007
    Sorry , I'm NO writer.

15. blademaster

blademaster Cool Member

Jun 4, 2007

I was just razzing you. At least you did a good job with your signature.:lol:

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If this turns into an English paper, I won't be able to help anybody...:lol:

17. American&Proud

Jun 3, 2007
    Oh I did'nt take it any other way, but I'm still NO writer .lol :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.