1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by puffnstuff, Apr 1, 2008.

1. puffnstuff

puffnstuff Icon

Sep 2, 2006
    My mother in law just called and I need to pole mount her dish . Never really took time to look at it but I do know it is an older dish with only one arm . What size pipe should I get are they the same as the slimline ?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    1 5/8" pole and no the slimline is 2".

3. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    The slimline needs a hard to get 2 inch actual size pole, which is very hard to find. What is sold as two inch is actually NOMINAL, which means that the actual diameter is 2-3/8"

The original mounting pole is 1-1/4 NOMINAL, which has an actual diameter of 1-5/8 inches.

A fellow subcontracting installer of mine developed an "insert" collet bushing that allows placing the NEW SLIMLINE directly on the old pole, whithout extra tools.

You have to verify that the original pole is securely planted in the ground and strong enough to hold the new dish.

He sells the adapter on eBay, and ALL who has used are happy with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150230471763&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=005

We have done over 300 installs with the adapter and find it a real money and time saver. We need to carry only one sized pole in the truck.

4. puffnstuff

puffnstuff Icon

Sep 2, 2006
    Thank you guys . I have 2 for the slimline but never had to put any old dish's up ( I only do family and friends for HD ) . As always DBS rocks !!!

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Maybe I miss read the OP, but this isn't for a Slimline mount, but the old dish.
    1 5/8" chain link fence poles are used here by everybody.

6. puffnstuff

puffnstuff Icon

Sep 2, 2006
    Once again thank all of you . Concrete is setting now . I really can't thank you enough , my mother in law had a stroke and lost lots of her vision . She called today because her condo group was there to put new railing on the deck and had told her to move it last week but she didn't read the letter , when she called this morning crying I knew it was bad , she was on the phone with a csr and was confused and called me , I knew what had to be done but nt the size pipe but thanks to you guys I get supreme brownie points .