1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old DSR704's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Hotscot, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Hotscot

Hotscot Legend

Sep 25, 2008
    I have a curious situation.

I first signed up for D service about four and a half years ago at a previous address. SD with two Phillips DSR704's.

After two years I cancelled the service, because we were moving, and my wife and I moved to a new address where we signed up under her name for HD service with four boxes. (There was nothing underhand about this, no-one mentioned a movers service, we signed up under wife's name just because it was convenient at the time, nothing else.)

Thing is, although I realise that todays boxes are leased I'm not sure what the situation was with the 704's, and as far as I know D never sent me any communications/return boxes to ship them back.

I don't know whether I should contact them to ask if I was supposed to ship them back, and if I was, would I get in trouble.
    If they're all mine now are they any use to me? Even the internal hard drives? (What capacity were they anyway.)

I'm just trying to do the right thing but not sure what to do. They still seem too nice just to trash.
    Thanks for input

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    If you got them 4.5 years ago, they were owned and you can do whatever you want with them. You could reactivate them (DirecTV would probably want to send new access cards, but you may be able to get around that) or salvage them for parts.

3. Hotscot

Hotscot Legend

Sep 25, 2008
    Thanks...I'm all HD now though..anyone know what size hard drive is in them?

(Googled it...looks like 40Gb..hardly worth bothering about)

4. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    There is always eBay. I sold my old DSR708 for a few bucks a few months ago.

5. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    I still use a DSR704. I think you're correct about the 40GB drive, although I upgraded mine to 100GB when the original drive went south. I still love that machine, even if it is SD. It does FF and RW so much smoother than an HR20.

6. jfosut

jfosut AllStar

Dec 10, 2006
    Yes, DSR704 is a 40GB. I have a DSR708 (80GB) in the workout room. Works perfectly for watching Jeopardy and PTI while I run on the treadmill!

I second your love of that machine... That old Tivo interface is hard to beat for speed, reliability, and stability!

7. GirkMonster

GirkMonster Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    confirm 40gb. I have 2 of them still in service and they work flawlessly. Well, both have been upgraded to 200 gb, and now have over 150 hours of record time in SD, work with the current guide and have been reliable as hell.

I have so many Tivo remotes around the house, it's hard to give 'em up. These two boxes drive 10 tvs. I'd say activate 'em and see what offer you can get come late Feb or March from D*.