1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old games and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by TNGTony, Feb 23, 2004.

1. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Hi all!

I am a fan of several older DOS games and I'd like to play them on my windows XP machine. I know it's like playing Pong on an X-Box, but I really miss playing Dune II and other real-time strategy games that don't require advanced degrees in military strategy to compete.

Anyway, does anyone know of an emulator like "Doomsday" (it allows Doom, Doom 2 and Heretic to run on XP no problem) for games like Dune II?

Thanks!

(BTW for those that don't know, Dune II is the basis for the Command and Conquer game series)

Tony

2. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Have you tried the compatibility modes for XP? I've had great results running some old DOS stuff on XP. XP even has a wizard to help you with the settings. To get to the wizard is a bit of a PITA, but you can also change the settings manually. To find out all the info, click Start > Help and Support > type "compatibility" in the search box. The first item on the left pane will be "Getting older programs to run on Windows XP". I've even had good luck getting the sound to work in DOS sessions since the drivers for my Soundblaster Live 5.1 have a good emulation mode builtin.

3. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Hey, anyone try running Carmageddon (the original) on XP? I still play the game after hours at my office on my 3 year old ME machine sometimes...

4. goughl

goughl Legend

Jul 18, 2003
    Off topic some what, I am running Win98SE and thinking of upgrading to XP. Is it worth the trouble?

5. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    ABSOLUTELY!!!! XP is the most stable platform I've worked with. Other than the fact I can't get a couple of old DOS games to run (C&C and DuneII), it's the best upgrade I've done.

Remember that XP does not have any "real" DOS. It has an emulator that works well 97% of the time for me. :)

I've tried the compatibility thing. I've even configured a dedicated autoexec and config file, but it still will not get past the point where it tries to access the display driver to go to a full screen mode and these programs will not run in a window.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I was really looking for an emulator like "Doomsday" for the ID games. Only specifically written for Westwood.

See ya
    Tony

6. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    MY only objection to XP is the time it takes to boot after all the security patches are applied.

7. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    That would probably be the fault of your video drivers. Some video card manufacturers don't impliment the different modes correctly, resulting in some modes not working or not working as they should. My ATI card using the latest Catalyst drivers, do work in full screen DOS mode very well. I had lots of problems with Nvidia drivers when I had one of those cards.

8. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Boot up time can be significantly lowered by turning off unneeded services and doing a regular defrag using a utility like PerfectDisk. The builtin defrag is rather limited and doesn't help that much. Microsoft also has a free utility you can download which will optimize your boot process. It records the times of all the services starting as well as startup programs, etc. and then reorders them to make it more efficient.

9. Neutron

Neutron Banned User

Oct 2, 2003
    Try a program called VDM Sound. It worked wonders for Betrayal at Krondor.