1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Old HR20-100

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by FenixTX, Sep 20, 2013.

1. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    I just upgraded my HR20 to a HR44. Called DirecTV to ask why they didn't include return shipping with the new receiver so I could send back the 20 and was told they didn't need it back. They are sending me an envelope to send back the access card, of course. My question, what should I do with the HR20? Should I hold on to it for parts, sell it for parts because I'm fairly certain you can't activate it even with a new card correct? Or should I just throw it away?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right, they don't want it but it's still leased so you can't sell it. It's pretty useless for parts. Trash or recycle, some would say hold onto it a few months to be sure.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You are correct, nobody but yourself can activate the HR20 again. I would hold on to it, just incase you may need it again sometime

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

4. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    Thanks for the quick replies. I will hold on to it just in case I want to activate it again.

5. Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave Legend

Apr 2, 2004
    I kept my old HR20-700 when replaced by an HR24. Glad I did as I had an early life HR24 failure and I was able to re-activate the HR20 until a replacement arrived. Older receivers are virtually worthless except as deep backup.

I still have some old HD Tivo's in the vault in case I get caught in a worm hole and re enter planet earth in 2001.

6. jcwest

jcwest Legend

May 3, 2006
    Not for me. I'm still using the HR20-700 with external 1T drive. INMHO the HR20-700 is the best HD DVR D* has ever built.

J C

1 person likes this.
  7. goober22

goober22 Godfather

Sep 8, 2004
    Sunny...
    I'm with ya. I have 2 HR20-700s & 2 HR20-100s and love 'em all. They do all I need and have built-in ATSC tuners so I can get not only my local subfeeds but also channels & subs from a neighboring DMA. I have 3 of them upgraded to 2TB drives as well.

8. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    If you ever decide to junk it grab the hard drive out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

9. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yup, I sitll have an HR20-700 in the guest room and its still a working great.

To the TS, you could always keep it and have 7 tuners. ;)