1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Old receivers, lack of features

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tharron, Nov 14, 2008.

1. tharron

tharron Mentor

Nov 2, 2007
    Curiouse, I'm *really* getting excited with potential new features, but..

I've got an HR20-100, an H20-100, and like, 3 old D11-100's. If I want to replace the H20-100 with a newer HD receiver, or even replace the SD D11-100's with newer receivers, is there any course to DO that? I mean, I paid for the H20-100 when I had it installed a few years back (paid as in, they charged me for the pleasure of getting it, as I dont own it).

Just curious if there was any sort of standard route without getting nailed for a hundred bucks each time.

2. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Just got my wifes D11-500 replaced. They sent me a H21-100 and it had all the cables including a HDMI only thing was no BBC but got that shiped the next day.

3. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    You can probably convince DirecTV to give you a service credit for the price of the new receiver and pick one up a Best Buy. That' how I justified upgrading from an H20 to an HR20. Next step is to see what I can get for an R15 to go HR2X.

4. tharron

tharron Mentor

Nov 2, 2007
    But how did you do it? Call and asked nicely? Accidentally, say, 'dropped it on it's head'?

5. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    Other than the ethernet port on the H21/H23, and SWM compatibility of the D12 there is no additional features in those boxes vs what you currently have.

6. say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I'd suspect that he asked if they could upgrade the SD unit to an HD unit and DirecTV did....

But as for swapping an H20 for an H21 or 23, I'd suspect they'd be less inclined to do that outright.

7. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Don't forget the OTA thing. No ATSC tuner in the newer boxes. Folks look for recon H20s.

Joe

8. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Called them and asked nicely. Just told them i wanted to upgrade her reciver only paid the shiping cost and no new commitment either

9. tharron

tharron Mentor

Nov 2, 2007
    Mostly, I'm really hoping that MRV can work with those ethernet ports. I have 6 receivers, and I REALLY don't want to have 6 DVRs in the house.. :-D

10. tharron

tharron Mentor

Nov 2, 2007
    Don't have an OTA connected to mine, honestly. I'm out in the boonies, and everything OTA I could receive is on DirecTV already.

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Glad that worked.

I found out the hard way there were no OTA ports on the newer boxes. When I opened the boxes there were no OTA ports. My customer wondered who would know if I didn't. You would think someone would have mentioned it.......you know.......... on a "Need To Know" basis.

I await surprises with these SWMs.......but not enough to turn myself in to the local HSP.

Joe