1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by facerw, Jul 18, 2010.

1. facerw

facerw Mentor

Feb 1, 2005
    Over the course of six years I've had a total of four receivers. Two original receivers were deactivated over two years ago and as of this weekend, one more will be going (an old RCA 40 TIVO) which leaves me with one HD DVR one. I'm getting a standard HD receiver to accommodate a new hd television.

I'd like to get rid of the older SD receivers but not sure how to do so. Would anybody like to give suggestions on how to do so? I'd rather drop these in an electronic disposal area. Don't think these would work again but like to help clean things out. What are some good suggestions?

2. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    As you said...recycle dump. I wouldn't think any those you mentioned would be considered leased.

3. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    I'm pretty sure Best Buy will take them at any store. You might want to double check with your local store or BB's website. They accept old electronics for recycling and I believe with the exception of TVs it's free. For TVs there's a $10 charge, but then they give you a $10 Best Buy gift card so it all equals out. I've got an old 32" TV that weighs 125 pounds that I can't even give away so it looks like next week I'm lugging it to Best Buy.

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    My area has several household electronics recycle days. I got rid of my two old Sony SAT receivers and a bunch of PC cases and other stuff. This equipment is sent to a place that will strip and recycle the metals (especially the gold).

5. facerw

facerw Mentor

Feb 1, 2005
    Correct. These were owned before the leasing program started. Don't get me wrong I'd like to keep them but with technology changing so quickly, it's time more clean house and move on.