1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Series 2 direcTV Tivo. will it still work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by alucard, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alucard

alucard Cool Member

Jun 23, 2007
    When I lived with my parents I had a Series 2 direcTv Tivo in my room. When I moved out we unplugged and stored it in one of our old rooms. We never discontinued the service but it hasnt been turned on in a couple years. My question is, as long as it hasn't been damamged and the hard drive still works, will i still be able to get a signal on it? Or does direcTV know that it hasnt been turned on for a couple years and stops the card from receiving a signal? My mom wants to put a TV in her office and my parents still have availble coax to the dish so i figured i could hook up my old receiver for her.

2. bto4wd

bto4wd Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Apr 17, 2007
    Should still work. From D*'s point of view it just hasn't phoned in for two years. You'll need to hook it to a phone line to get the new software and it may be a good idea to do a clean program information & Todo list or even a Clean & Delete Everything to give it a fresh start. The only problem you may run into is that it may need to have it's programming reset, which can be done automatically via a call to D*.

I've had S2 DTivos disconnected for a year, although I deactivated them, and when I wanted to use them again I just called D* to get them turned back on.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Jul 11, 2007
    You will either have to get the card reactivated or get a new card. Probably the former. But you can't get DTV service without an active card. It will work if you do that, I believe.

4. alucard

alucard Cool Member

Jun 23, 2007
    thank you for the info. :)

5. desslock

desslock Mentor

Jun 19, 2007
    I just plugged back in my S4040R TiVo on line in the bedroom and it started up fine. I had expected to have to call D* and reactivate, since this box was replaced in the living room by an R15 which is still active. I had thought it would not work as it would be seen as a second machine, but it fired up without a hitch.

Will D* eventually get wise and shut it off?

6. alucard

alucard Cool Member

Jun 23, 2007
    One more question. does the receiver have to be connected to the same dish it was activated on originally? If i take the receiver that was at my parents house and connect it to my dish will it work? Or, if it doesnt work and i need them to reactivate the card could they do so if its connected to my current direcTV dish?

7. bto4wd

Apr 17, 2007
    Sounds like you never deactivated it. OR....you pulled the SAT feed before you deactivated it. If the later, yes, eventually you will need to call and reactivate.

My understanding of the deactivation process is at the time of deactivation a signal is send out for your card telling it that it has been turned off. If you pulled the SAT plug before that, it never got the signal. But peridocially D* sends a complete list of deactivated cards on the SAT. So you may get a day or two...maybe more, but it will stop working.

The real PITA is that D* is clamping down on what cards can be reactivated. I called in January to reactivate 2 R10s (not old cards) and the CSR told me I might need to pay for new cards to get them reactivated. Depended on the card #. In my case I got by without the need for new cards. But I'd guess any S2 cards may need to be replaced.

In my mind it's a crock-O-S. I've got real old S2 cards that run fine now. But if I turn them off for a month and then reactivate them, looks like I have to purchase a new card.

Hope this helps.

8. bto4wd

Apr 17, 2007
    No, dish has nothing to do with it.

9. alucard

alucard Cool Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Cool, thanks for the info.

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Sure they work. I've still got 2 of them going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.