1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old shows showing up as New shows in directory

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by p4594spa, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Jul 1, 2010 #1 of 20
    p4594spa

p4594spa Mentor

Jul 20, 2006
    On my DVR, I have a variety of shows automatically recorded for NEW shows only. Of late, a lot of the stuff on GSN, which has been previously shown, it shown in the directory as NEW; thus my DVR records stuff I have already seen.

Comments, workarounds, etc?

2. Jul 1, 2010 #2 of 20
    goober22

goober22 Godfather

Sep 8, 2004
    Sunny...
    My wife records "The Soup" on E! each Friday. The last 2 weeks ALL SHOWINGS have been recorded - that's 12-15 each week - all the same show repeated. I've deleted it many times and reentered it to record only 1st run, but no good. Also, all my series recordings on a R15 got reset to record ALL shows when most were 1st run. 2 Other HR20s had series recordings deleted from the series manger list.

This was 1-2 weeks ago, not sure why.

3. Jul 2, 2010 #3 of 20
    sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    My DVR snagged the pilot episode of "Warehouse 13" last week, show is about a year old, the second season starts on Tuesday.

I was kinda wondering why a one year old show was recorded when I'm only setup to snag new shows....<shrug>

4. Jul 2, 2010 #4 of 20
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    It's all about the guide data that DirecTV gets from Tribune, which Tribune gets from the providers. If the guide data doesn't say it's a repeat then your DVR will record it as new.

5. Jul 2, 2010 #5 of 20
    DaveC27

DaveC27 Godfather

Apr 14, 2010
    I'd noticed it with "The Soup" and assumed that whoever provided the programme info to DirectTV was on holiday and the fill-in didn't know how to mark additional episodes as "Old".

So it happened with "Warehouse 13" dammit I saw it on my PVR and thought it was a new episode

6. Jul 2, 2010 #6 of 20
    sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    New season of "Warehouse 13" starts on Tuesday night........

SyFy's been playing some of the Season 1 episodes this week to get us caught up, I thought I saw some of them available on VOD. I got disc 1 of season 1 from Netflix the other day, discs 2 and 3 are suppose to show up today....:)

7. Jul 2, 2010 #7 of 20
    Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    So that's why it shows as "Short Wait" in my Queue, you have it!

8. Jul 2, 2010 #8 of 20
    JayMatt77

JayMatt77 Mentor

Aug 25, 2009
    +1

9. Jul 2, 2010 #9 of 20
    joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    If you want to record the show and it's on at the same time every week, got to Manage recordings- Manual and set up a recurring recording for that day and time. If it's on every day select Mon-Fri. Works just like an old VCR.

10. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    Well, I assume it also works from the "first shown" data in the more information thing. Also, a lot of the time it will take repeats out of the to do list at the least moment. Some must also come from what they get from the trib since it will take one series link and go into overload for a week or two, maybe L&O CI, all episodes on USA for a week then the problem rights itself.

11. doo4usc

doo4usc Legend

Oct 20, 2006
    Temecula
    I just went to my "List". played a program that I scheduled on season pass, it was a repeat from last week. The funny thing, I checked "First Aired" info and it said 7-7-10...I guess it's a new feature, we can watch programs a week early!

12. Boston_bill

Boston_bill Icon

Jul 23, 2009
    I record new eps of "Late Show with David Letterman" last night was a repeat and shouldn't have recorded but it did.

13. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Got them yesterday afternoon, dropped them back in the mail last night.

Drives me nutz when my queue shows something on short wait and I read about some guy who says he doesn't watch his movies right away and might sit on them for several weeks........because he just doesn't care.

What is it he doesn't care about?? Other people?????

14. goober22

goober22 Godfather

Sep 8, 2004
    Sunny...
    Misery loves company!!! :p

Been there, done that! I final had enough and set a recurring manual recording for Friday night. I might change it back... one day. :)

15. gregjones

gregjones Hall Of Fame

Sep 20, 2007
    Channels have absolutely no incentive to fix their guide data. When they screw it up, it results in you recording more of their shows and possibly watching more of their ads. Channels that screw up guide data regularly do not get me as a viewer. When watching TV becomes less than convenient for me, it has lost its appeal.

16. Syzygy

Syzygy Hall Of Fame

Dec 5, 2005
    Old shows (reruns) were given the names of new episodes not yet seen, with first air dates to match (dates still in the future!) on these channels that I know of:

TVLand (Hot in Cleveland)
    USAHD (L&O:CI)

17. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I created a similar thread a few weeks ago for this same problem. I have lots of shows set to record only NEW episodes by my HR20-700 is recording every episode. I have a feeling that the guide data is simply wrong and lists neither whether the show is new or old, but the IRD is not smart enough to know NOT to record something if it doesn't have a NEW/OLD flag.

18. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Then again, isn't it better to record it if there is no NEW/OLD flag and let the user delete the episode if necessary? After all, if it doesn't record it, and it was a new episode there is no fix for that. (I'd say that it is doing the smart thing.)

19. coolyman

coolyman Legend

Oct 4, 2007
    I think the data providers are doing it purposely to trick us into recording and/or watching these shows again for ad revenue. :grrr:

20. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    I was looking thru my Series Manager and noticed an episode of The Office was going to be recorded...:rolleyes: