1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On demand access on a PC?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Keybounce, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Keybounce

Keybounce Legend

Jun 19, 2009
    Here's a real simple question: Is it planned or even under consideration (I know it is possible) to permit on-demand access for people who have R15's on their PC?

The concept is simple enough: Get the access numbers off of your receiver (the receiver ID and the access card ID), plug them into a web site, and then watch the On-Demand that isn't supported by the receiver itself on your PC.

Technically, it's very doable -- it's no different than a login and password, followed by a video selection and downstream.

Legally? Well, we're paying royalty fees already when we pay our monthly fees to Direct TV, right?

License? That shouldn't be a concern, right? Is it? If it is, how hard would it be for DirectTV to renegotiate the license agreements?

Under consideration? My mother is thinking of switching from DirectTV movie channels to NetFlix.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I do not know what the future will bring for DirecTV, but I would not expect to see what you are asking about/for.

The current DirecTV2PC capability is from your own DVR to your PC, not streamed from DirecTV. As you are aware, that is not currently supported on the R15/R16 series DVRs.

However, your mother does have access to the "Top Movies", which are in a separate tab on her R15 from her regular playlist. Those can be purchased and watched (on/via the R15 on a TV).

3. keithff25

keithff25 New Member

Aug 5, 2009
    now newer technologies are also out, like satellite TV so we cannot predict the future of any technology