1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On demand Ethernet connection on Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tthen, Oct 23, 2012.

1. tthen

tthen New Member

Aug 21, 2006
    I just signed up for Directv with then Genie Package. Installation is this Friday.

Is the unit hooked up to the Internet via the Ethernet connection or will they install a cinema Connection kit?

My modem is located in the same cabinet as the receiver (once installed) so it is easy enough to connect the Ethernet cable.

For some reason I think I read that I will need the kit but I don't know why that would be the case with the modem located right there.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Just a guess, but maybe it is so they can train their techs with one across the board method, rather than giving them a course in home networking to teach them all the possible variations a home network might present. Nothing is stopping you from just removing the CCK after he/she leaves, and plugging in the ethernet cable.

3. rmmccann

rmmccann AllStar

Apr 16, 2012
    ND, USA
    I have mine with Ethernet and no standalone CCK - works fine.

4. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Going the ethernet route would be "cleaner" in your case. Less cables, no power outlet required with ethernet, it is if you use the CCK, either way works fine.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The tech will be required to use a CCK in order to get credit for a successful install, but as stated, nothing says you can't just remove it after they leave and connect an Ethernet cable directly to the HR34.

- Merg

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I feel this is likely the situation as well. I also think it was one of the big reasons they decided to EOL the HR20 (along with it not being 3D capable). It's easier for they just to train the techs on how to do everything one or two ways, instead of having multiple different ways. It's easier to tell they they have to install a CCK in every install, instead of saying well, you have to use one with the HR21, HR22, HR23, HR24, but you don't have to on the HR34.

7. Lindsey-Star

Lindsey-Star Cool Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Connecting via ethernet may cause complications while streaming to client locations depending on your installation. The CCK is designed to combine internet and satellite signals into the network.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This doesn't make much sense.
    The CCK bridges the DECA network to the home network for internet access.
    SAT signals have nothing to do with this "other than" being on the same coax.

9. kwasnicka

kwasnicka Mentor

Aug 23, 2011
    I have mine with Ethernet and no standalone CCK - works fine.

Ditto here.

10. atlrep

atlrep New Member

Jul 15, 2012
    The swim system allows the seperation of data and tv signals. Not the cck, the cck is simply a networking device. In order to get an HR34 you HAVE to have a CCK or a Whole Home setup, unless you can convince a supervisor otherwise, or order on from a third party.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    this does not make sense. A SWM system is just the environment where the satellite and network signals coexist on the same cable. but DECA has noting to do with SWM. Also anybody can order the HR34 WITHOUT Whole-Home DVR and a Cinema Connection Kit is not a MUST to get the HR34. there is no need to convinced anybody