1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

On Demand & Internet Usage

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by nitty316, Jul 8, 2014.

1. nitty316

nitty316 Legend

Aug 27, 2008
    Has anyone else had issues with the on demand service using up all your Internet Data usage allowance? On Thursday of last week I attempted to watch Batman off the HBO On Demand Site. I noticed Friday evening it was still downloading. I didn't know it was even downloading because it had started playing when I started it. I got an email from Cox stating that my usage for the month had gone over When I looked at the meter it showed 80GB used on Thursday and 160GB used on Friday. I called Cox to figure out how that happened. The first question the rep asked was if I had tried to use DirecTV on demand. Since then I have not used any of their on demand services and have streamed through my Roku player for hours at a time with barely any usage. Does DirecTV have a flaw in their on demand system or did I do something wrong? I have the little internet deviced hard wired into my Router. Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    Wow, that's a ton of usage, I've downloaded on demand before it never used that much. My internet provider actually has a monthly usage limit but only during peak hours which they consider to be 5pm - 2am, so if I know I want to watch an on demand movie ahead of time I'll download the movie when it's off peak, then I can download as much as I want.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I wouldn't expect a feature length movie to be more than 3GB. 240GB is at least ten times the size of a typical blu-ray movie.

4. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I'v never had an issue with CentruyLink. My sister did, but not for On Demand. She and my mom were streaming the video feed from the Jodi Arias trial for hours a day after HLN and TruTV started time delaying the coverage.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It could be that you have a "flaky" internet connection and the movie is failing download and it keeps trying thus consuming more data

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    We have a seen a few reports here of "runaway" internet usage, even without downloading OnDemand stuff. Usually a red button reset fixes that.