1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

on demand misleading

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by westview, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Mar 9, 2012 #1 of 16
    westview

westview Mentor

Dec 27, 2011
    Direct says they have 7000 movies for free. This only true if you have the movie channels in your package.

2. Mar 9, 2012 #2 of 16
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    None of the on demand offerings are truly free, as you can't watch anything that's on a channel not in your package. So everyone's on demand offerings will vary based on the packages they subscribe to.

3. Mar 9, 2012 #3 of 16
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Since you pay monthly for DirecTV service, nothing is really free:)

4. Mar 9, 2012 #4 of 16
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Did you expect that premium channel movies would be free via OnDemand? Nobody would subscribe to those premium channels then.

5. Mar 9, 2012 #5 of 16
    DJPellegrino

DJPellegrino Godfather

Nov 17, 2005
    A great feature request would be that the on-demand only show what you are subscribed to, like 'The channels I get;

6. Mar 9, 2012 #6 of 16
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    "Free" is one of the most annoying words in advertising. What they mean is "without charge" or "for no extra money".

Rich

7. Mar 9, 2012 #7 of 16
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Well no, but the statement "7000 movies free" is certainly misleading unless there's some clarification after that.

8. Mar 9, 2012 #8 of 16
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They are terrible with the language and messages you see in ads. But you gotta remember, they're not aiming at us, but more towards the lemmings.

Rich

9. Mar 9, 2012 #9 of 16
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It never says they're "free" on the web site. It says "Get over 7,000 shows and movies On Demand on your TV, at no extra charge."

http://www.directv.com/cinemaplus

10. dshank522

dshank522 Cool Member

Sep 13, 2009
    It's called marketing. :eek2:

11. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    Yes, it *IS* misleading--on purpose. That's the goal of advertisment and marketing, to sell stuff, not to give you the real facts so you can make an intelligent decision. They only want your money. Look at advertisments sometime (with DVRs, we skip them mostly). They used words like "CAN" and "MAY" but couched in a sentence so we hear them as "WILL" instead. That way, they can clearly say that we inferred something that they never said, even if they deliberately implied it.

Anyway, as was said, there is NOTHING for free as you have to subscribe to DirecTV to get ANY of their programming. It's a lie disguised as a marketing gimmick.

12. bigtom

bigtom Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    It does not state "free" as it was pointed out earlier.

Everything seems to state that DIRECTV is providing access to VOD for no additional charge, which is truth to me.

It's like getting an additional sauce at McDonald's with your nuggets for no additional charge. :*)

13. larryah

larryah AllStar

Jul 29, 2010
    I agree with westview...it is misleading. It sounds like what Netflix and Amazon offer....streaming video, not just grouping together movies that you already have. I find the whole thing worthless and a waste of time.

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "misleading?", well it is an ad, so that's a given.
    Amazon and Netflix may have better pricing, but you can get [similar] movies off of On demand with PPV, so it's not "just grouping together movies you already have".
    Some may find it worthless and a waste of time for them. While I don't use it a lot, there are times I do, so "worthless" isn't quite what I'd call it, but I wouldn't call it "important" either.

15. proud2bnerdy

proud2bnerdy New Member

Mar 10, 2012
    directv.com at the bottom of the directv on demand page:

1Additional fees required for new releases. *Access to available DIRECTV On Demand programming is based on package selection. Actual number of TV shows and movies will vary. Some DIRECTV CINEMA and On Demand content requires an HD DVR (HR20 or later) or DVR (R22 or later), DIRECTV CINEMA Connection Kit and broadband Internet service with speeds of 750 kbps or higher and a network router with an available Ethernet port are required.

16. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Hopefully it would work BETTER than "Channels I Get." :D

~Alan