1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On Demand programming?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MRM, May 15, 2009.

1. MRM

MRM AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    I'm sorry if this has already been discussed many times, but I am wondering what programming is available on DirecTV's On Demand, specificially in HD? I know a number of movies are offered. But what about network TV shows, are any of them offered?

2. ebandman

ebandman Cool Member

Dec 13, 2007
    I just downloaded the entire 3rd season of Dexter. Except for 2 episodes all were HD. I do have showtime however, so it might require that to access this programming.

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Tune to channel 1000 and find out for yourself what's available. ;)

4. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
  5. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
  6. MRM

MRM AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    Not connected to it yet. Want to see if it's worth it before investing into a router and adapter.

7. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    IMO i dont like it:

1. alot of stuff isnt HD.
    2. & even then, most of the stuff that is HD is only downloadable if u subscribe to that channel, like the above post about "dexter" on showtime.

8. MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN Godfather

Aug 18, 2007
    Crystal Bay...
    IMO not really worth it until networks are added, which will probably never happen. I'm currently regretting my choice of buying the extra equipment for VOD. Only good thing I've found is reruns of "TRAILER PARK BOYS" for VOD.

9. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    If a wired connection is possible it's only about 5 bucks.

10. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
    What is $5? Perhaps the cost of the Cat-5 run?

Anyway, I'll add a vote for "I do like it." However, we just don't use all that much, but every once in a while we'll watch something (typically on a food or travel channel) and want more info, so we will tune to the +1000 channel... And while there are some good videos to be had, for some reason we just don't use it all that much.

11. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    MRM for me I don't use it except if i have 2 things recording and i want to watch a third feed i then have the option of the DOD or Mediashare with Tversity to stream something while i wait for my shows to record.

When i buy a product i want to have access to its full potential not necessarily because i will use it a lot but have found at times happy that when i wanted it i had it available. The router and cable/bridge are not just for the DOD but to use MediaShare as well.

So i would say worth it.

12. Downset

Downset Cool Member

Jun 3, 2008
  13. tlieberg

tlieberg AllStar

Apr 16, 2008
    Depends on how much work and expense you have to go through to get it connected to the internet...

If you don't subscribe to Showtime, don't watch PPV and are largely interested in HD, then probably not worth it since there's not much content out there that is HD yet not Showtime or PPV.

The above paragraph describes me but I do have my HD receiver connected to the internet because it's about 6 feet away from the router (which I already had) and connecting was essentially free. It does have the advantage of eliminating the need for a phone line to the receiver.

14. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Yes, the price of the cable.