1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On-screen Temperature?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Steve, Dec 7, 2007.

Would you like any of these added to the Wish List?

1. I'd like an option to display the local temperature in the INFO bar.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'd like an option to continuously display a small channel # in one corner of the screen.

32 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. I'd like an option to continuously display a small local temperature in one corner of the screen.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'd like an option to continuously display both channel and temperature in two different corners of

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. None of these ideas should be added.

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. Other. Explained below.

60 vote(s)
    61.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 7, 2007 #1 of 26
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Steelerfanmike pm'd me with an idea he had to display a small version of the channel number in one corner of the screen and the local temperature in the other corner. This would have to be an option, of course, since depending on your display, burn-in could be an issue.

Mike's idea led me to think that it might be useful to some if the local temperature could be displayed in the INFO bar, since the 3-4 characters required would easily fit (101°, e.g.).

I volunteered to run a POLL on these ideas on Mike's behalf, so here goes. :) Please let me know what you think. TIA.

/steve

2. Dec 7, 2007 #2 of 26
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I don't see the need for these and don't know how the temperature part could be implemented, but if you guys want them, fine, as long as we can turn them off!

3. Dec 7, 2007 #3 of 26
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Other. While I'm not against inclusion in the wish list I personally would vote thumbs down, because I would rather see all the resources involved used elsewhere.

I'd rather see the programming resources used for other features.
    I'd rather see the DVR's processor power used for doing other things.

4. Dec 7, 2007 #4 of 26
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'm in total agreement with you.

That being said, since the temperature is available already on one's ACTIVE channel, maybe it won't require a lot of resources to display it in the INFO bar as well. Who knows? :) /steve

5. Dec 7, 2007 #5 of 26
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Thats why it is called a wish list. Put it in and let the people vote. Oh wait a minute people vote on things that they do not know what they are voting on...

Whats a mother to do! :lol:

6. Dec 7, 2007 #6 of 26
    dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    They need to just concentrate on getting the recording working properly. Whats the point of owning a DVR if it always starts recording late, sometimes ends up recording nothing and almost always has Lip Sync issues on HD channels.
    Temperature and other eye candy are just a diversion of resources that should be focused on this critical problem.

7. Dec 7, 2007 #7 of 26
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    More useless code bloat in my opinion. We can get the channel number with one button, and find the temp with two buttons (which is something that might be done a couple times a day by the temperature retentive like me).

Adding this kind of frivolous stuff, when real issues need to be addressed and features added/refined is a complete waste of resources on D*'s part.

(just an opinion, mind you):)

I swear, one could add a poll to have the HR20 play "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" at every channel change and someone would vote for it.:D :D

8. Dec 7, 2007 #8 of 26
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I look over on my end table at my wireless in/out thermometer, I want to know the temperature outside MY house, not from where ever they make take the local reading.

9. Dec 7, 2007 #9 of 26
    ke3ju

ke3ju Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    Stroudsburg,...
    I would settle for a Weather Widget that is similar to the one the the Verizon FIOS DVR has that shows on screen literally a half a second after you push the button on the remote, instead of the Active button we have that takes 90 seconds to load, and is not available until after 9pm on Sundays.

Regards,
    Ed

10. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    +1. I think D* should take ACTIVE out in the back and shoot it. It really should be put out of it's misery. :lol: And yes, the Verizon weather widget is very cool. That's what prompted me to include an INFO weather display in the poll. Verizon also has a very quick "local traffic" widget as well. /steve

12. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    Like someone else mentioned - Get an indoor/outdoor wireless sensor thermometer at target or walmart for $20 if you want to know the outdoor temperature.

13. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of HD;
    It is trampling on the hard drives where the series links are stored;
    It hath loosed the fateful lightning of its keep or delete sword;
    Its truth is marching on.
    Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
    Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! HD is marching on.

14. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Well, as long as they also included an option to play Dixie....... :D

15. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Nice work, both of you. Brought a smile to an otherwise dreary Iowa winter day. (more sleet and ice due tomorrow).

16. RUBBLE

RUBBLE AllStar

Mar 6, 2006
    Try placing the receiver outside and run the lines thru a window, then check the internal temp. Bingo, then you'll get the outside temp give or take 75 degrees.

17. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Is there really no such thing as a stupid request? We are getting really really close these days.:rolleyes:

18. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    There is already too much crap on the screen (i.e. channel bugs and ads). I don't want anything else on there except the show I'm trying to watch. Personally I don't understand why anyone would want to put up useless stuff like that. It takes 2 seconds to figure out the channel (it's probably already plastered on the screen anyway) and I certainly don't need to see it constantly. As for temperature - who cares? Buy a cheap remote thermometer if you feel the need to know how cold or hot it is outside. Most likely the 'local' temp isn't what it is at your house anyway unless you live next to the weather station.

19. SAlBO

SAlBO Icon

Jan 6, 2007
    :nono: :nono2: :eek2: :eek: :new_Eyecr :roundandr :scratch: :ewww: :raspberry :icon_stup :bang :barf: :scratchin

20. Gonesouth

Gonesouth Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    :nono: Not needed. To many other sources to get this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.