1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by veryoldschool, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Aug 2, 2010 #1 of 929
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Seems like a good time to get a list of which HD MPEG-4 channels are still giving problems.

So, it's fairly well known that there are problems with the SAT feed that gives us audio dropouts on all MPEG-4 receivers with Dolby 5.1.
    These dropouts have nothing to do with the hardware on our end, regardless of what DirecTV customer service may try to tell you.

If you have more than a random dropout every so often, then please post what channel is doing this and maybe the time/program you were watching, along with how many there were.

Things that will affect how bad these may be are whether you have Dolby set, and whether you're using your TV speakers, or running through an Audio Video Receiver. Some AVRs react much worse to these errors in the SAT feed than other AVRs, but the true source of the problem looks to be from the MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 conversion process on the uplink.

The goal here is to gather useful data to point DirecTV to where they need to focus, much like rubbing a dog's nose in something to get his attention.

Please leave the rants,bitching, etc. to one of the other threads, as "we know" it is frustrating but posting it here will only get in the way of "mining the data" and could become counter productive to the goal of this thread.

DirecTV has asked us to post which Audio Video Receiver we're using, as this affects the frequency and duration of the dropouts

2. Aug 2, 2010 #2 of 929
    RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Ones I know I've heard the drops on are (all HD channels with DD5.1 enabled on the STB):

229 HGTV
    244 SciFy
    546 Showtime West
    202 CNN

3. Aug 2, 2010 #3 of 929
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Many.
    The ones I can think of right off the top of my head are:
    Conus
    Locals

It is definitely worse on the programs that are live for me.

1 person likes this.
  4. Aug 2, 2010 #4 of 929
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    OK this looks like it's starting out on the right track.

Local HD channels are run through different uplinks, so maybe it would be helpful to list them separately from the nationals.

Perhaps this would work:

CONUS
    xxx
    xxx
    xxx

Locals in [your market]
    xx
    xx
    xx

For those that don't have these, there is no need to post it.

I know not all of the channels I watch and at the times I'm watching have audio dropouts.

Sometimes there may only be one in the show, so this I would call random and not worth posting.

Those that do have these know well they aren't random and can be very annoying.

These are the channels to post about.

Thanks,

5. Aug 2, 2010 #5 of 929
    kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    Versus
    TNT
    Fox News
    CNN

Local channels - Salt Lake City
    NBC 5

6. Aug 2, 2010 #6 of 929
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    HGTV HD 229 (a LOT of them).

7. Aug 2, 2010 #7 of 929
    sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    They're VERY quick, but I get them randomly on:

ESPN HD
    ESPN2 HD
    TRAV HD
    SHOW WEST HD
    YES HD
    DISCOVERY HD
    FOOD HD
    HGTV HD

Our locals seem pretty good.

8. Aug 2, 2010 #8 of 929
    bigzeto

bigzeto AllStar

Jul 21, 2007
    ESPN
    Food Network
    TNT
    Some of the Starz channels. I'll verify which ones and update.

9. Aug 2, 2010 #9 of 929
    bjamin82

bjamin82 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    Every Channel that is HD. Including shows recorded on DVR. There are even drops on VOD.

10. Aug 2, 2010 #10 of 929
    john18

john18 DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 21, 2006
    CNN HD
    SyFy HD
    Food HD
    TNT HD
    MSNBC HD
    ESPN HD
    Versus HD (Although I usually only watch during hockey season)
    Discovery HD
    Science HD

I'm pretty sure that I have seen it on all of those and that is the majority of my viewing. The only possible addition would be the HBO HD channels, but memory fails on that at the moment.

The channels above are problems on my living room setup, which consists of a HR24-200 outputting HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR806 AV Receiver and then via HDMI to a Sony KDS-60A2000.

11. Aug 2, 2010 #11 of 929
    weaver6

weaver6 Icon

Nov 2, 2005
    242 USA
    244 Syfy
    245 TNT
    265 A&E

Probably more, but those are the ones I can think of off hand. Optical out to a harmon/kardon AVR 247.

12. Aug 2, 2010 #12 of 929
    BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    Every HD channel I tune to.

Finally did it huh Stuart? lol

13. Aug 2, 2010 #13 of 929
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    These posts are completely useless to everybody.

Without giving channels you're simply wasting everyone time, which in the end will have anyone from DirecTV turning away from reading this thread and so you're only prolonging the problem.

Don't BE THE PROBLEM,

but instead become PART OF THE SOLUTION to the problem.

14. Aug 2, 2010 #14 of 929
    BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    wth? I'm being completely serious. EVERY HD channel I tune into has audio dropouts. Do you want a list of 50 or so channels? I don't watch SD so I have no idea about those.

15. Aug 2, 2010 #15 of 929
    Die Hard

Die Hard Mentor

Jul 21, 2010
    Nationals
    206 ESPNHD
    209 ESPN2 HD
    229 HGTVHD
    242 USAHD
    245 TNTHD
    247 TBSHD

Locals
    2- FOX

With DD on, I recieve on average 3 per hour.

With DD turned off, I still get some audio drops, but have also noticed some pixelation in place of the audio drop at the time off the hour that I would usually expect get an audio drop.

Watched a 2 hour Pay Per View movie, DD on, with no audio dropouts.
    I can't watch 2 hours of any regular movie/show without several audio dropouts, so why none on a PPV movie?

16. Aug 2, 2010 #16 of 929
    trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    SPEED
    VS
    FOODnetwork
    HGTV
    BRAVO
    ESPN
    ESPN2
    FX

Local
    FOX

17. Aug 2, 2010 #17 of 929
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Since with the channels I watch, they are few and far between, I'd ask you, and others, not to list the DirecTV HD channel lineup, but instead list the channels you watch that these are most frequent on.

I too must have maybe 50 HD channels I watch and simply don't have them to any great degree other than my one local NBC, which seems hopeless as most of it is on their end, and DirecTV can't do anything about it.

And to the others that are posting, Thank you.
    You are doing exactly what is the goal of the thread.

18. Aug 2, 2010 #18 of 929
    BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    Speed
    ESPN
    ESPN2
    USA
    FX
    HGTV
    NGO
    Science channel
    SYFY
    Discovery
    Showtime

Just to name a few off the top of my head. It would be easier to name the ones I don't have audio drops on. That would be NBC, ABC, FOX distant networks out of NY. I might get one now and then from those three but not many.

All of these started last October.

Edit to add the free Showtime they gave me to shut me up. lol

19. Aug 2, 2010 #19 of 929
    hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    242 USA Network (a majority of my evening viewing and recording) 5-7 p.m. M-F when NCIS is on. I record every episode. When played back, they always have a few drop outs. So does every other series I record on USA network.

245 TNT: Bones recordings always seem to have a few dropouts per hour.

356 MSNBC, Morning Joe recorded every day M-F 5-8 a.m. Central. Again, some drop outs, not as frequent as USA network.

202 CNN, a few at various times, not nearly as many as USA network.

284 Science Channel, Almost no drop outs at all.

562 MGM no drop outs at all.

Most VOD: no drop outs, no matter what channel they were taken from.

One word of caution. Since my viewing is so skewed, there could be awful drop outs on channels I don't watch often, and I wouldn't notice them.

Since I record a LOT of USA network, I'm reporting a lot of drop outs there.

Also keep in mind, that 99% of the time, I'm watching recordings,no matter what program I'm viewing, not live.

20. Aug 2, 2010 #20 of 929
    bigzeto

bigzeto AllStar

Jul 21, 2007
    If anybody is watching the Mets-Braves game on ESPN, there was just a drop in the bottom of the 1st inning when Alex Gonzalez was batting. I'm posting this about 1 minute after the dropout.

ETA: I re-wound it and found exactly where the dropout was. It's when Oral Hershiser says the word "velocity" and the count is 1-1. You can't really hear the word because it drops out. I turned off Dolby Digital and it doesn't completely eliminate the dropout, but it's not nearly as bad.