1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

OnDemand content a bandwidth hog

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by MrD1sturbed, Feb 24, 2014.

1. MrD1sturbed

MrD1sturbed Cool Member

Oct 15, 2007
    So today I officially hit my bandwidth cap with Comcast due to watching OnDemand content from DirecTV. It's probably ignorance on my part but I had no idea that watching OnDemand content downloaded the entire HD episode of the show I was watching, and in my case seasons (watched all of Game of Thrones and season 1 & 2 of Dexter this month). Why is it that DTV doesn't just stream this content like every other provider or service does? With the internet age literred with bandwidth caps and overage fees theres got to be another way! I am seriously considering switching to Xfinity TV in order to indulge in my OnDemand watching without fear of killing my bandwidth cap. Anyone else run into this situation?

2. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    Streaming wouldn't help your case much as you would still be receiving all of that data. The only thing that would help you is D* making SD versions of the shows available to not use as much data. Personally, I stay with DSL because of no bandwidth caps and I hope D* keeps the premium channel VOD as is.

3. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Down Load or Stream MB's are MB's and everything counts( that's not COMCAST) - What I did was upgrade my Comcast internet only to Blast / digital tv 50/10 - activated my Xbox 360 and using the Xfinity App I can find most everything and get HBO -HD and such and Some How :) that doesn't seam to effect my Bandwidth usage ,HUM!

Good thing is it's a sort month and it will reset soon.

4. john262

john262 AllStar

Oct 26, 2011
  5. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  6. scoop8

scoop8 Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    Dallas TX
    My provider doesn't yet have cap limits. Verizon FIOS in the Dallas area.

7. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    In other words, Comcast is playing you like a fiddle. You will get their TV because their bandwidth limits on their internet. Worked like a charm.

A big reason why I will not go back to Comcast for internet.

1 person likes this.
  8. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    They do stream, although it is not nearly as elegant as Netflix or Apple TV. Use the "watch now" rather than download and you will get a less bandwidth intensive version.

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Oddly enough, neither does Comcast.

10. Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU Legend

Jan 28, 2004
    Ocean...
    I watch a lot of DirecTV on demand, plus a lot of Netflix.

15MB down / 1MB up

$34.99 per month

I have Verizon DSL and NO PROBLEMS.

(My router shows over 250GB of usage already this month and its only the 24th.)

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Because they don't have the satellite bandwidth required to send demand content to their base of 20 million US households. Your local cable operator gets away with it because they have a MUCH smaller customer base (perhaps less than 1/1000th) and a routed fiber connection. Its all DIRECTV can do to send the 500 or so live channels that they send now.

If you need demand content and can't figure out how to effectively simulate it with a DVR, satellite TV is NOT for you. It isn't an indictment of you or satellite TV, its just how things are.

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The local cable companies use their internet to send on demand. They just don't count it against your caps. But we know no one would be that conniving, would they?

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    That is not streaming. That is just adjusting the download size to your internet speed. It still copies it to your drive, something "elegant" that streaming doesn't do.

14. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    My post was attempting to be helpful, was yours?

15. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well, he was trying to correct your "boo-boo" DirecTV does not stream, even the "watch now" option is a download

1 person likes this.
  16. milton

milton Cool Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Maybe Directv should levy a complaint to the FCC and FTC, especially given the current TWC/Comcast merger. Directv could use this merger to highlight to the public and government the anti-competitive actions of Comcast.

17. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    It seems the FCC doesn't care about any of this anymore.

18. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002
    That article is from two years ago. I have CenturyLink DSL, and have had it for at least 4-5 years. Unlimited bandwidth. No caps whatsoever. No plans to cap. Sounds like some who have ATT DSL that the caps have not been enforced.

Bandwidth caps haven't come at all to this DSL subscriber two years after this article was written.

19. FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    If you're using OnDemand for regular network shows on a regular basis, use your DVR instead. Same for HBO and premium stuff. Save OnDemand fur those odd things you miss or want to sample before setting up a series link. Saves your bandwidth.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

20. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    Pretty much. The head of the FCC is a former cable lobbyist which is bad news for us the consumers.