1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

OnDemand movie closed captioning issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Capmeister, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08 DBSTalk Club

Sep 16, 2003
    Last night we purchased The Amazing Spider-Man from DirecTV OnDemand, in 1080p. The problem was, we watched about half of it before the captioning problems got out of hand.

At first, just a line here or there was missed. We'd roll the movie back 30 seconds and try again, and the captioning would work (mostly) for a few minutes (which meant the captions WERE in the stream, but not being decoded correctly). By the time we were at the dinner scene at Captain Stacy's house, the captions were dropping so often that we had to stop watching. Going back and playing them again was not possible.

We ended up running out to RedBox and renting the bluray (which was actually cheaper) and so I was pretty turned off by the DirecTV rental.

That said, DirecTV customer service apologized when I called this morning and instantly issued a credit.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Glad it worked out for you.

3. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I've had that problem as well, on the few PPV I have ever rented. The first one I ever rented had no CC at all. Another reason to avoid their PPV.

Another pet peeve I have, not necessarily a DirecTV fault, is how on certain shows, Survivor for me, the captions lag so far behind the action as to be useless.

4. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    DirecTV's customer service tends to be pretty on-the-ball. Only problems I've ever had with DirecTV in the past has been because of local contractors and their inability to control them, but that was over 3 years ago now.

5. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    That one you have to blame on CBS. They go the cheaper route for their captioning of that show, and it's a shame.