1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OnDemand Wireless Setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by kjthomas626, Sep 26, 2008.

1. kjthomas626

kjthomas626 New Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I jsut had D* installed yesterday and was looking through the channels last night to find On Demand access, of course I found out that I have to have that accessed through my internet. Therein lies my problem, my router is not near my HD DVR boxes, one is on another floor of the house and the other in another room. I went to the D* website to research and found out a little information, and wound up calling Customer Support to get more information. The CSR informed that even though D* does not recommend it, you can set up the boxes to access the internet wireless.

Here's my setup....I have a wireless router and I want to know what I need and how do I setup the boxes to accept the signal. I have seen a few threads with comments regarding pieces for gaming, but I am not sure what they are or how they work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.:confused: :confused:

2. hometronix

hometronix Cool Member

Sep 8, 2006
    You need something like a wireless gaming adapter. It is basically a wireless device with an ethernet port on it that you will connect to the ethernet port on the DVR. I can tell you that it will be buggy, slow, and somewhat unreliable. The only way to do it rigt is to find a way to get an ethernet cable to it.

3. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    You need something like the WGA600n work great. With sn HR21 or HR20 the DVR will see it and setup from there no need to setup from pc first.

4. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    I use wireless N - maybe overkill for VOD but comes in real useful for HD streaming and for sure will with the future Multiple Room Viewing.
    The Linksys WRT600N (WRT610N is the latest iteration) wireless N router and WGA600N game adapter/bridge work quite well for me (see setup link in signature).

5. ICM2000

ICM2000 Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    D-Link DAP-1522 4 ports alllow hook up of mutiple devices. I also understand it is included in the wireless set up of some DVR CE releases. Also "N" compatible.

6. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That is only supported in the CE firmware at this time. It will probably be in a national software release soon.

Another option is to use powerline networking. You attach one adapter to your router and another to your DVR. They communicate over the wiring in your home. Directv sells a model for $25 ($50 for a pair). The setup is the same as if you had an ethernet cable connection.

7. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    I was having wireless signal issues in one part of my house (and could not get the Linksys Range Extender to work!) so I switched to Linksys Power Line Adapter the other day. Put in a Linksys switch too, so now DVR and PS3 are connected, work fine.

8. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Ibelive someone posted that it was is the NR also.:confused:

9. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The release notes indicate that it was added in 0x25B (15:01), which was the first in the current CE cycle after the national release of 0x254/0x255.