1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One of my HR20-700s just restarted for no reason -- did yours?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SFNSXguy, Jan 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    One of my HR20-700s just restarted for no reason -- did yours?

2. babzog

babzog Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    I had that happen a few times recently with my three yr old hr22-100. Then it started locking up and becoming totally unusable before finally being unable to download the guide data. Last night, I did a full reset wiping all settings and programs off the drive, thinking it might have been seriously fragmented (no proof of that, though I had nothing to lose at that point). So far, touch wood, it seems to be operating properly now.

3. RoberMR

RoberMR AllStar

Oct 23, 2007
    My 23-700 did a spontaneous reboot yesterday while my 24-100 and 20-100 did not.

4. hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    My H21 did a random reboot earlier this evening around 7:30PM CST.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    A brief power drop or spike can cause reboots, so I wouldn't be concerned unless you start seeing anomalies.

Best of luck!

6. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    A Reboot can be caused by a New NR Software Download, or by a momentary Power Loss or by a Failing Hard Drive which tries to correct a problem by Rebooting but the problem is caused by a malfunctioning hard drive caused either by a Marginal or Failing Power Supply or by a truly Bad Hard Drive which is dying.

7. 1995hoo

1995hoo AllStar

May 14, 2004
    Fairfax...
    If it only happens once, chalk it up to the vagaries of modern electronics. If it starts happening more often, my experience is that the DVR is on its last legs. In fact I called DirecTV yesterday because our HR21 has been spontaneously rebooting fairly regularly for about two weeks now (the last straw came Wednesday night when it rebooted while we were watching TV; my wife said "You WILL call customer service tomorrow!" because she was fed up....thankfully our other DVR still works fine). The call took about half an hour and the rep had me turn it on and go through various steps; when they were unable to diagnose the problem, she said they'd just sent a replacement box via FedEx, second business day.

I went through this in May 2010 with another HR21 and the replacement process was painless, other than the nuisance of backing up recorded programs to DVDs (no big deal in and of itself except that you can only do it in realtime; in this case it's a pain because the box in question is in a different room from the DVD recorder so I have to disconnect it, take it downstairs, hook it up there, etc.).

There is a way to put the box in diagnostic mode to test the hard drive and other issues. Do a red button reset, and then when it gets to "Running receiver self-check" press SELECT to enter diagnostic mode. The menus are self-explanatory. One of the tests can take over 90 minutes, so only do this when you know you won't need the TV for a while. (In my case I did all this last weekend and the box passed all the tests, but the reboots have continued.)

8. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    Thanks all for your input(s)! We'll see how things go.

9. mrski57

mrski57 Mentor

Dec 16, 2008
    my hr20-700 had a yellow light on this A.M. What does this mean? thanks!

10. 1995hoo

1995hoo AllStar

May 14, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Following up solely for the sake of completeness—they're fast!!! FedEx just dropped off the new receiver about 10 minutes ago (I expected it on Monday, and normally both FedEx and UPS deliveries in our neighborhood come very late in the afternoon).

They sent me an HR21-700, same as the old receiver. I suppose that's fine, my wife is comfortable with what we have and so this changes nothing.