1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One thing I have noticed with DECA...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Coax Networking (private)' started by RunnerFL, Jul 16, 2009.

1. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    is a nice increase in speed over my network for file transfers between PC's etc. By taking traffic for 3 receivers off my network and into their own cloud I've seen a nice increase. Can't wait for these to be available for sale and I can get 3 more receivers into their own cloud. :D

2. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    So you're saying taking the traffic from 3 IRD's off of your "home" router has freed up traffic. I thought that once I saw the DECA's that it would be nice to take that traffic off the home network and create it's own so as to not bog down the rest!

Very nice indead RunnerFL!

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Interesting find.

I have 4 PCs on my network (2 are laptops), as well as the various units on the DECA cloud. All PCs but one are ethernet direct-connect, the other is 802.11N wireless.

I have not noticed any change in the PC performance (already very fast 1GB network anyway) with or without the DECA cloud. I've done ping tests here as well.

In fact, I have seen more of an impact from using Sling on the network, in contrast to all 3 IRDs combined.

I guess part of the performance results are based on what speed your network is to start with, and what NIC cards are in your PCs. With my 1GB network....see next to no impact with DECA.

4. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    For wireless, would think true. For hardwired with Switch, traffic was just between the two receivers talking. Yep, do remember seeing that DECA cloud receiver-to-receiver stays within that cloud, and doesn't affect the network-DECA.

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    It's not a huge increase in speed but it is noticeable. Moving files between my main PC and my NAS has definitely sped up.

6. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    That's a good thing in any case...:)

7. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    You know, I think you are right. I transferred 2 GB of pics from my laptop to my Home Server yesterday and it seemed much quicker than usual.

8. Aug 2, 2009 #8 of 33
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Sometimes I'm a bit slow to notice things [yeah, take your shots here....]

This really isn't an issue, so I didn't want to post it there.

Before the DECAs I had one receiver daisychained off another and the three others each going to a port on my router. All receivers were using DHCP, network services had manual ports and the router had port forwarding by IP for each.
    Widgets/TVApps have always needed N/S to start. Some CEs have been problematic and others not at all.

I've had my Netgear RP614 router for 6 years and it's been a no brainer to use. Every once and a while it's needed a rebooting, but most of this has been due to me using P2P programs, which seem to have someone "knocking at my door" and the firewall in the router seems to shutdown ports if something is knocking too hard.

With DirecTV2PC and MRV, I've had to do a few more resets than before, but still hasn't been that big a deal.

[Now with this history, what's new]

Since I moved all the receivers over to the DECA cloud, resets have been needed a bit more. Mostly this is due to the CE downloading issue, that I've posted before.
    So here's what has taken some time to realize:
    Now that the cloud uses only one port to my router for all my receivers, DHCP no longer is assigning the same IP to the same receiver as before. MAC addresses seemed to have always kept each receiver & PC assigned the same IP address, whether they were connected straight to the router or through a switch.
    Some of you have been using static IPs, so you may have not seen this change with the DECAs.
    This wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't have to use port forwarding by IP for TVApps.
    I looked into my router settings and found [learned about] reserving IPs by MAC address, which now is setup for everything connected to the DECA cloud.
    Receivers are now back to DHCP, network services start and don't give the "started but failed connection test".
    Receiver info screens now show network services status as 5025 or 5035. These, when the worked before, would show 5000, 5001, etc., but never over 5010.

9. Aug 2, 2009 #9 of 33
    69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Interesting find. I have always had mine set to static IP's. Not being an electronics or network heavy by any means (should be obvious from my posts), I was wondering as I read your post if this might be having an affect on the light colors for the c link with DHCP assignments, since the orange v green lights seem to move around from receiver to receiver for some. Mine have always been green as previously mentioned, but I also have always been static IP assigned at the receiver, not at the router. As I said, I really don't know much about electronics or networking....I hope it isn't too dumb of a thought. :scratchin

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I have many [always] dumb thoughts, which sometimes turn into something else.
    "The best I can tell" is the C.Link LED colors are more RF related and seem to be somewhat related to a "command status" of the cloud. Which DECA is "in control". With all green "I think" it means all are working "in harmony" controlling, where with only one green, the others are more in a slave mode.
    I don't think I've ever had all green, and moving the filter to the dish caused 3 greens to become 3 yellows/oranges.
    As I reboot a receiver, with the green, the others will take over and change to at least one [but seen two] change to green.
    Then when the reboot is finished, this one returns to green and the other go back to yellow/orange.

I wish I could find the same link I had in an earlier post/thread [for Tom], where there were diagrams of the RF paths within the DECA cloud and splitters. "Cloud" is a good description [like an electron cloud] as there are so many paths of the same signal.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Strange. I occasionally have to reboot my Linksys Router, but very rarely, and DECA hasnt changed my frequency of needing reboots. I actually have everything plugged into a Linksys 1Gbit switch. One port on the switch is plugged into the router, as is the Inet connection, so I am really only using one port on the router, and 6 on the switch.

Ive also never had anything except green LEDs, except when the receiver reboots, where it will turn orange for a few seconds before turning green again. Nothing I have experimented with has caused any of the lights to stay orange, so I have no clue.

I do know that Deca has been solid since I installed it, and barring any problems with MRV in its return, feel its ready for DirecTv to start making some money with.

Installation was simple, even for me :) If they get those last few receivers fixed up to supply power to the DECA box, I think its a winner.

12. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Hmmmmm....I have never needed a single router or HD IRD for the past 3 CEs using the DECA cloud. I did so for the existing and first CE, but not since whatsoever. Once I rebooted the H21-100 receiver 3 CE's ago, but that was it. Both the network and IRD operations as a whole have been very solid.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While you may not have "rebooted", you have had to to download a CE. :lol:

Now "the why" my router has needed more reboots than before is the second port of the HR21 will spit out "something" to my router, while it's downloading the CE, causing it to lockup. This is NOT during the installing or receiver booting up. This only happens while it's downloading the software. If I need to reset the receiver, it has no affect on my router.

Rebooting receivers & router has mostly been because of TVapps not working and fighting with the network services, which look to be due to the changing of the DHCP IPs.

14. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Hmmmm...what I do know is that during my DECA experimentation...I tried using the 2nd (lower) Ethernet port on my HR21-200 for a replacement connection to my Slingbox there (instead of a freestanding Buffalo wireless unit).

On any CE download, as soon as the HR21 rebooted, I lost my remote Slingbox connection alltogether for 30 seconds, and could not do the 02468 command anymore (no Slingbox connection during the 02468 stage). As soon as I reconnected the Slingbox to the Buffalo wireless unit again - bingo - no problems executing the full CE download cycle remotely.

I'm still wondering if and how daisychaining the second Ethernet ports on any IRD in the DECA cloud impacts the network (and in turn, the issue around yellow/orange C.Link LEDs). All I know is I use no 2nd Ethernet ports anywhere, and I have all green LEDs on all 4 DECAs.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    When the H21 was connected to the second port, I had to wait for the HR21 to boot back up before dowloading the CE on the H21. If I didn't, the networking wasn't setup.
    "Clearly" the second port is controlled "somewhat" by the HR21.
    C.Link LEDs, I can't think would have anything to do with this though. They're on the other end, and you can remove the network cable with no change, where either power or the RF cable will cause some affect.

16. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    The Broadcom chipset used in the HR21 and above is a 5 port switch. It only makes since during a reboot the ports would go dead for an expected amount of time. I have worked on these types of chipsets in the past as a NIC/Switch network card. The design behind them is the first port is usually avaliable to be made a regular NIC and the other ports are either a switch or can also be made into an individual NIC port. Now with the DVR's only one port can be used as a network port and the second port is always going to be a siwtch port since there is no way to program an address to the second port and make it another Network port. There are also 3 other ports on this chipset that are not even in use.

My environment would not work correctly when I was using the 2nd port as the uplink to the home network from the cloud. I was able to use the 2nd port of the DVR and supply an uplink into the cloud from my H21-200 without any issues at all. I have also seen yellow LED's on the uplink DECA unit and they have seem to disappeared without returning now.

VOS
    Check your cables. In all actuallity most home cables are shorter than what is specifed as the standard, 3 meters. Yes that sounds long in some home patch cables, but when something is not working right, then try the simple things first. Lockups on router/switchs usually are caused by a malformed packet. This is usually a product of a bad network driver or network firmware. That can be a result from the DVR or the router itself.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    All Cat5 to router are 4-5+ meters.
    DECA to IRD is the supplied "minis".
    DSL modem to router and router to switch [for PCs] are ~ 2 meters.

Second port of the HR21 is the "outlink" from the cloud to the router. This is what has weird "crap" coming out during the software download.
    "Other than this" all functions are stable, short of known issues [floating IPs not matching port forwarding, hacker attacks from the outside, etc.]

18. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    OK, do you have a hub? Not a switch a hub! If we could get a hub and break the connection to the HR21 second port, put that in the hub, put a cable from the second port to the hub and your computer also plugged into the hub, then we could start a capture on your PC using WireShark and watch all the traffic on the hub to see what happens when the router lock up occurs. That would be the next debug step.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I've got a hub "somewhere" [you know the old equipment shelf, where expensive things go to die] and I'd need to find & come up to speed on WireShark.
    What I'm hoping will happen is that Doug will hear from DirecTV about this, since it is the software running on the receiver that is doing this.

20. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    This will be information that D* will also want if they do not know what is going on.

It is a free download from www.wireshark.org/ . It will install a windows PCAP package as well. When you start WireShark, a window will pop up that gives you selection of what device and some other options like "How to Capture" etc. Very straight forward and easy to use on the network.

The idea is to hook up your PC with wire shark, the HR21, and the up-link to the hub. Start wire shark then do the process that creates the hang in the router, then select the Capture => Stop then save the capture to a file. When you get that done, email me and I will provide you an FTP site to upload your captured file and I will help you debug the result. You may find this pretty cool to look at. It is like reading the book of what goes on in the network.

EDIT
    You may want to turn off the firewall stuff on the router. Of course turning that off may fix the issue too!