1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Billing/Paper Billing?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cforrest, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 6, 2007 #1 of 32
    cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Anyone decipher this message? I currently receive paper bills, which I want. I also am able to see my bill online. Does the message mean I won't be able to see my bill online prior to it arriving in the mail, as I have been able to do? Thanks

Dear Customer,

We recently completed updating our online billing service and are now cleaning up our records. As part of this clean up, we have identified that your account has an active online bill record, even though within the last year you expressed a preference to receive a paper bill every month. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. To correct this discrepancy, we will be automatically de-enrolling your account from online billing after 09/06/2007. Your paper bill will continue to be mailed to the billing address we have on file.

Thank you for choosing DIRECTV

2. Sep 6, 2007 #2 of 32
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Yes, it means they are disabling your ability to view your bill online.

3. Sep 6, 2007 #3 of 32
    fwlogue

fwlogue Godfather

Dec 5, 2006
    It means that you will no longer be able to see your bill online.

4. Sep 6, 2007 #4 of 32
    cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    K thanks guys. Got it on my account & my parent's account as well. That sucks. So much for that :(

5. Sep 6, 2007 #5 of 32
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    You can still keep the on-line billing. You just have to give up the paper bills. D* doesn't want to keep doing both for the same account.

6. Sep 6, 2007 #6 of 32
    pman_jim

pman_jim Legend

Jan 24, 2007
    Which makes very little sense to me, and I've been round and round with the CSR's on it to no avail. Its one or the other.

BAH!!!!

But regardless of that, D* is still the best thing going in TV land that I have access to, so when you take the one minus with all the plusses it really doesn't amount to much more than a small inconvenience.

7. Sep 6, 2007 #7 of 32
    IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    I just got that email from Directv, is this any way to treat customers?

8. Sep 6, 2007 #8 of 32
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I don't know of any other company that actually disallows access to online statements if you receive a paper bill. It's really a crappy policy.

9. Sep 6, 2007 #9 of 32
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It seems a little hinky, sure.

Maybe it's some sort of confusion.

10. 40-Dan

40-Dan AllStar

Nov 24, 2006
    my guess is that they really want to "encourage" on-line billing as it is much less expensive for them.

c'mon - save a tree. If you really want to have a paper backup, you can always print it. I do that w/ my bank statments, but I print 2 pages to a sheet.

Dan

11. pman_jim

pman_jim Legend

Jan 24, 2007
    No confusion. If you are currently getting paper bills and go to the D* web site to view your online bill, you have to first agree that you will no longer receive your paper bill. I've been round and round with multiple CSR's, and the best they could tell me was, I could agree not to receive my paper bill to view the bill online, then then next month call and request to have my paper bills turned back on, but that would turn off my online bills.

Crazy I tell ya!!

12. MyDogHasFleas

MyDogHasFleas AllStar

Jan 4, 2007
    They do not want to send you paper bills, because it costs them a lot of money to do that. So, they incent you by offering to provide your bill online if you agree to give up paper bills. What's so hard to understand?

Personally, I don't have a problem at all with companies who do this (and a lot of them do). If I ever want a paper bill (which I rarely do) I can just print it out.

13. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    It's very easy to understand. The thing is, no other company does it like this. Now, I do know of companies that charge extra to receive a paper bill, but I have never heard of any other companies that disallow online access if you choose to receive a paper bill.

14. lonewoolf

lonewoolf AllStar

Nov 21, 2005
    I'm from the old school. I prefer looking at billing statement w/o using electricity and filing it for seven years. Also the statements always include something that DTV is offering for that particular billing period that you might not otherwise know about like free previews for example.

15. 40-Dan

40-Dan AllStar

Nov 24, 2006
    I'd hate to see your filing cabinet.

Tax returns - 7 yrs to forever
    Bank statements - 5 to 7 years
    Utility bills (including D*) - only until the next one comes showing I was credited for the previous months payment

16. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Nor have I. It's a petty and customer-antagonistic decision to block online access to your bill. :mad:

17. lonewoolf

lonewoolf AllStar

Nov 21, 2005
    Why?

18. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Most companies that I know of did not have a situation where you were getting both a paper bill and on-line access. Most make you decide on one or the other - as has been mentioned, if you want on-line access you agree to no longer receive paper bills. D* happened to do things at some point in a way that some people were getting both. Now they are trying to clean that up.

I realize people may want to keep a paper copy. But I also think I have yet to see someone with a computer and on-line access that doesn't have a printer connected to it. And a lot of these places have a .pdf version that is very nearly identical to their snail-mail version.

OK, so I don't get the mini 'what's on DirecTV this month' flyer, or the perfumed inserts or the 'free gifts just for the inflated shipping costs gimmicks'. I'll easily give up the snail-mail D* bill to have the ability to view on-line - I always know where I left my computer, or I can access the information at work if need be.

If I had a cabinet where I file past bills? That's what the little printer icon at the top of the screen is for. Save the labor/printing/postage costs and maybe launch another satellite in a couple of years! :lol:

19. ajwillys

ajwillys Godfather

Jun 14, 2006
    I have a program that allows me to 'print' anything to a pdf file. It's great, I use it for all my online bills, online purchases, and anything else I *may* want in the future but really don't want to print off. The pdf's then get backed up nightly during the normal backup schedule. Here's what I use:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

It's free, open source, and installs as a print driver on your pc. It's one of the most useful programs I have.

20. cgiannetto

cgiannetto AllStar

Aug 25, 2006
    I also got that email yesterday. I suspect in my case it was because DirecTV took it upon themselves sometime last year to automatically enroll me in their "e-bill" system and I complained about it. Since then, my bank has instituted a new online system whereby they can go and fetch statements from many vendors and DirecTV happened to be one of them. When I signed up for that it must have re-enabled DirecTV's e-billing service but given the note I had sent them previously, they kept the paper statements coming anyway.

In any event, I have no issue with it now since my bank's online billing system will keep the notifications & statements in a prominent location until you dispose of them, making it difficult to misplace or forget about. I was trying to find a way to turn off paper statements from DirecTV but once e-billing is turned on, I guess they figure you've already done that so it's not an available option (at least not one I could find). However, now that I had to go back through the process of enabling e-billing, I'm pretty sure that paper billing will stop so I guess this was a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.