1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only 1 tuner receives HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Throckmorton, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    A friend asked me if I've ever heard of an issue where an HR20 will only receive HD on 1 tuner. The second tuner works fine for SD but won't tune HD. (I didn't think to ask what you get when you try.)

He said it's been doing it for about a year.

Are there any known issues with HR20s that sound like this?

2. Sackett

Sackett Legend

May 21, 2007

Sounds like either the one tuner BBC is bad or missing. May need to order a free one from D*.

3. Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    Swap the cables at the input to the HR20 and see if it moves to the other turner or it might just fix the problem.

4. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Is there any way to tell which tuner you are viewing at any given time?

5. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Not really, but here's a way to figure it out. Use the info in the Transponder Mapping Thread to figure out which one carries a channel that is causing problems. Then use the signal test function to see which physical tuner can;t see that sat/transponder.

6. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    I'll start off by assuming that there are no extra multiswitches in the setup and no SWM. If there are no more than 8 tuners (4 DVRs or 8 non-DVR receivers), this is probably true.

Swap the cables going into the BBCs first. If the problem moves to the other tuner (as rudeney explained) that rules out the BBCs and tuners. Which leaves the 4x4 multiswitch built into the LNB.

If the problem stays on the same tuner, swap the BBCs. If the problem moves to the other tuner, it's the BBC, otherwise, it's the tuner.

Whenever you swap a cable connection, be sure to tighten it down with pliers, unless you're the Incredible Hulk. :D

7. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Okay, thanks everyone.

I've passed along these suggestions and he's going to troubleshoot it this weekend.