1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only cable can... not!

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by wcswett, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wcswett

wcswett Godfather

Jan 7, 2003
    Over the last couple of weeks I feel like I've been bombarded with "only cable can" commercials, promising local HDTV, faster-than-DSL internet connections and other magical wonders my satellite dishes cannot provide. Finally I logged onto http://www.onlycablecan.com and entered my street address and zip code. Here is the response:

"Our records don't show a specific cable company associated with your address. But you might recognize your local provider from the list of companies on the right.
    Please click on a company name from this list and we'll direct you to the appropriate page for information about services and selections only cable can deliver.
    If you don't recognize any of these companies, check your local Yellow Pages directory under the heading, "Television - Cable & CATV."

My so-called cable company is Alltel, which is not listed by the "onlycablecan" web site. I guess that shouldn't be surprising considering that http://www.alltel.com doesn't mention anywhere that they even own a cable company, much less give any information about it.

--- WCS

2. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    The photos on the very first page look like ones from Cox ads. I am not positive though. But it could be a cable industry site.

3. Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002

There's something wrong witht the onlycablecan website.
    When I enter the information it says that "cable modem service is not currently available in your area", however I'm surfing right now with a cable modem.

4. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Heh heh heh..... more half-truths to add to my collection.

5. dtcarson

dtcarson Godfather

Jan 10, 2003
    It looks like the site takes you to the local provider [mine took me to Time Warner NC, which is my local cable provider.] Either the zip code database is not up to date, or it's opt-in and requires the local cable company to say This is our zip code.
    Re: their 'questions you need to ask satellite':
    Contract--true. But so do lots of other industries.
    Buy equipment--false. If you can't find free or near-free sat recievers, you're not trying very hard.
    'Why isn't free really free?'--This one doesn't make any sense. it mentions a fee if disconnecting, but AFAIK, the only fee is if you break the contract [correct me if I'm wrong.]
    On-demand--AFAIK, sat doesn't offer that except like PPV. I do have the On-Demand, and while it's quite cool, the programming choices are lacking.
    Highspeed internet--You can get satellite high speed internet; but you can also get it from DSL, and cable Internet is a different beast from cable television.
    Local stations in HDTV--this is definitely easier and cheaper, in my experience, with cable.
    Some locals and not others--due to the intense lobbying cable companies have done to prevent satellite from carrying locals.
    Do Dish and DTV charge extra for HD programming? I can get the HD locals 'free' with a digital box, and HD premiums if I have the premiums. The new 'HD suite' which is INHD and INHD is 7/mo.
    Rains--bollocks. I've never had a rain fade with satellite when I still had power.
    Little League Picnic--Um, okay. My cable company is Time Warner, which is now one of the biggest entertainment conglomo companies in the country.

Some truths, many halftruths.

6. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    My zip code led me immediately to the correct provider, Cox. :D

7. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    Mine took me to Charter...only problem is Charter is in the town itself...not the 15 miles from the town like I am (there is no cable where I live...not for a good 10 miles)

8. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Obviously the answer is...You need to move. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.