1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opera Web Co-Founder Suggests Internet Button on TV Remote Controls

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by rmedeiros, Apr 5, 2011.

1. rmedeiros

rmedeiros New Member

Mar 23, 2011
    There is an interesting article that I came across where Opera is highly suggesting that it is time for tv manufacturers to start putting a button marked Internet on their remote controls. Of course, it is sort of a self serving suggestion for Opera to say that, but it is a good idea and shows how close the fusion of television, IPTV and Internet are becoming.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/39401/opera-consumers-expect-internet-tv

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Well, it's a logical progression, of sorts, but it 's not exactly a new idea now is it? From my post of 1.5.2011 on DBSTalk:

Quoting myself from the same post: "Getting your own button -- this is a huge step for Netflix - recognition on the part of tv and bluray manufacturers that Netflix is not only the pre-eminent IPTV content provider, but is expected to be so far into the future. I hail this move on the part of hardware makers and heartily congratulate Netflix for being so recognized. And advice to Internet backbone operators and Internet service providers: start beefing up your infrastructure, the flood of streaming video is coming. To users, start saying so long to physical media and set aside your DVRs, Netflix has arrived!"

An Internet button would invoke the Internet (in your browser of choice, I presume), while a Netflix button calls up entertainment. When I want to watch tv/movies, it's on the big screen; when I surf, check-in with forums or read email, it's on my laptop with a convenient, built-in chair-side mount. I can do it all simultaneously, with no switching back and forth. Frankly, with my setup, I see no need for an internet button on my remote, though I could use that Netflix button! :lol:

3. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    My Samsung BN59-01042a remote comes with a button labled "Internet". It's the stock remote for the LCD TV I bought 6 months ago.