1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Operating in darkness....

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by I'm Hooked, Oct 18, 2008.

1. I'm Hooked

I'm Hooked New Member

Oct 18, 2008
    For an old guy I'm fairly savvy on most techy stuff but now I'm interested in something that I thought would be easy (and it probably is) but am finding to be somewhat challenging.

Here's the deal: The light finally illuminated in my little brain telling me that I was wasting my money on cable tv so I swapped out the cable box with a good antenna and get awesome local channels which is all I'm interested in. Now being in my 60s I tend to snooze out early in the evening causing me to miss some shows that come on later. I have capability to record the "Off Air" via VCR but that's old technology; I'd like to use a DVR (with hard drive) but seems with all the info I can find on the subject that the DVRs only work with sat or cable. I understand that I would not be able to get the "guide" with an antenna connection (I don't now anyway). My main TV is a late model digital unit. Any info one way or another would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    There are some OTA DVRs out (look for Tivo) or about to come out (Echostar's rumoured TR50) that will let you record digital OTA shows. But be little patient.

3. I'm Hooked

I'm Hooked New Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Thanks Scooper - I'd prefer to stay away from a subscription service (TiVo) - it's not that I'm terribly cheap but it took a little convincing with the wife for me to turn in the cable box (she's already going through withdrawals) so if I can accomplish this without adding a service I'll stick more to my original argument...
    Any brand names for generic DVRs?

4. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    If you don't want a TiVo and you don't want to wait for the TR50 (or its equivalent), the next choice would be a PC-based DVR. Some TV cards come with DVR software that work online with TitanTV or other free services. Of course, you'll need a computer for that.

Then again, you could buy a TiVo and add the Lifetime (of the receiver) Service Plan, making it more expensive up front but then free for the duration.

PS, Another solution is the Pansat 9200 HD, the model I use for FTA. It also records OTA, but it's nowhere as nice as a TiVo. Add a FTA antenna, though, and it'll really be worth it.

5. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
  6. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    I'd wait for the DTVpal DVR (formerly the Echostar TR-50).

No fees. Gets the guide data from PSIP OTA.

Analog RF, HDTV component and HDMI outputs.

Sweet.