1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

OPINIONS - New AV Reciever

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by kfcrosby, Feb 18, 2009.

1. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    Okay guys, it's time for me to get my system updated so here's the deal.
    I'm looking for a new AV receiver, parameters are, under $1,500.00, full HDMI switching, good up-conversion, and well made.

I am considering these:
    Denon AVR2809C1
    Marantz SR7002
    Onkyo TX-SR806
    Sony STR-DA3400ES
    Yamaha RX-V1800

Have not seen a Pioneer and I an reluctant to buy a Yamaha locally, the only dealer is BestBuy, nuff said.

So what are you opinions for these selections? Is there something else I should consider.

I will be working into ADS1530's for the mains, a Polk Audio CSi-A6 Center Speaker, and Polk TSi100 rear surrounds.

Suggestions, comments ??

Kevin

2. SatRick

SatRick AllStar

Jan 6, 2009
    Denon:D

3. Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    Marantz SR7002-Quality
    Onkyo TX-SR806-Power
    Sony STR-DA3400ES-Options

I like sony but they tend to have high THD%. I'd go with the Onkyo! Dennon and Yamaha are good too.

4. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Home Theater mag had reviews of the Marantz and Onkyo in the Feb issue. The Onkyo rated higher. Although I like Denon products, the Onkyo gives you more bang for the buck.

On principle, I avoid Sony products because of the underhanded and egotistical way they do things (root kit, memory stick...).

Marantz used to be a stellar product until the late 70s. I'm not sure I would go that way. Their current stuff is just OK.

Yamaha makes great stuff but tends to be a little pricier for what you get, kinda like Denon. I really like the Denon remote.

I've seen the Onkyo online for less than $650 which makes it a real sweet deal. In fact, I may just get one.

Are you stuck in to buying at Best Buy? No online purchases? You can save a pile of dough... Just make sure you buy from an authorized dealer.

5. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    Absolutely not. If my only option is BestBuy, then I will go elsewhere. I understand the gray market issues and will only purchase from a factory authorized dealer.

I prefer to purchase locally, but if there is a significant price difference, I will opt for an online purchase.

6. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Marantz all the way. Great warm sound and excellent quality/features. They are the pick for high end audio installers, nuff said.

If you want a great deal on one, there is one place authorized to sell factory refurbs, www.accessories4less.com.

I got one from there and it looks brand new with everything that a new one would come with. Only thing different was that it came in a plain brown packing box instead of one with pictures on it. They really stand behind their stuff as well (most still come with a 1yr warranty). (I got a $800 receiver for $350!)

I know some are reluctant to use refurbs, but I must say these ones are absolutely perfect. They even come with their own test sheet showing the QC inspection done on them.

Here for example is the SR7002:
    http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-110w-x-7ch-HDMI-home-theater-surround/1.html

7. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I went through a similar choice in December and was very close to buying the Onkyo but after seeing the negative reviews of it's upconversion I balked. I ended up buying the Sony STR-DA4300ES on a special buy at Cruthfield for $700, it was just too good of a deal to pass up! So far, so good. It's not the most powerful amp I've ever owned but it does do a good job with converting 5.1 to 7.1 and I've had no issues with setup, etc.

BTW - I highly recommend Cruthfield, I've been buying from them for years, they aren't always the cheapest but their service and return policy is superb!

8. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    FWIW my experiences with lesser models of the Denon and Onkyo:

(AVR988 - big box version of the 2308) Be prepared for a high learning curve if you don't already know Denon setup and operation. Seems like good quality stuff, I got it for a great price when they were closing them out for the next model. Sounds good to me but I'm no audiophile. Remote that came with this model is abysmal, but better models have better remotes.

(TX-SR606) Lot for the money, has the usual Onkyo "Brrpp" sound when switching HDMI inputs. Quality seems a level below the Denon.

9. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    After looking at the spec's for the various receivers, I'm inclined to say the Yamaha 1800, despite your reservations about BB.
    I own both Yamaha and Onkyo receivers, and I definitely prefer the Yamah. I'v looking to upgrade the receiver in my family room, replacing my Yamaha RX-V657 with a receiver that supports HDMI switching and Dolby TrueHD. At the moment, I'm planning on waiting for the new Yamaha receivers, scheduled to arrive in Spring. Here are links to the .pdf descriptions of two that I might be interested in:

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/10669-yamaha RXV665.pdf

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/10670-Yamaha RXV765.pdf

The RX-V1800 will probably be current until fall. You might want to check the Audio section over in AVSforum.com for opinions of the receivers you've expressed an interest in.
    Here you'll find a list of authorized Yamaha online dealers: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/dealer.aspx?CTID=5010030&lid=SPLASH_SS_DealerLocatorYEC&lpos=A

10. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks Grentz... I check this site and I must say, I am impressed. I've purchased re-furbished computers from Dell and other vendors and have always had great luck with them, so I am not opposed to a re-manufactured device, which is what this site appears to be selling. We all know that most of the returns electronic stores see are ID10t situations.

Well, well, well..... I am surprised and impressed that Full Compass is dealing consumer gear. I have bought from them in the past for pro-audio gear.

Thanks Cholly!

Kevin

11. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Kevin - Note that Full Compass is not an authorized Yamaha consumer products online retailer. Therefore, I'm inclined to wonder about the products they list for sale. I got the links to the pdf files from a post on AVSforum.

12. dave29

dave29 DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 18, 2007
  13. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    Good catch!

Thanks

KC

14. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Exactly, plus those are factory refurbs which means they are completely rechecked. Almost better than new since they have gone through QC twice :p

Only thing is a smaller warranty, but 1yr is still not too shabby on the Marantz.

15. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I have a Pioneer Elite model that sounds great. Easy setup. The HDMI switching is wonderful and it decodes all advanced audio formats through HDMI (Dolby TruHD, DTSMA, etc.).

16. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I would also vote for a Pio Elite. I bought a 03TXH a few weeks ago for $500 and love it.

If you want more, you can get an SC-07 with the ICE Amps for under $1500 if you know where to look.

17. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I have my second Pioneer Elite (VSX94TXH) receiver now and love it. I actually got it last year. The sound is unbelievable.

Chris, what model do you have? I have a feeling it may be the same one.

18. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Go used from eBay. I bought a $5000 reciever (2004-era) or $900 a couple months ago.

All I care about from a receiver is audio quality.

19. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    If you are buying new, I recommend you go with the Denon, and I'd go a couple hundred more to get the AVR-3808CI, with the free upgrade. I'm looking at upgrading my AVR-3806 to the AVR-4308CI, likely mid-year (unless they update by then).

20. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I have a Pioneer Elite as well. If I was ever going to get a new receiver it would also be a Pioneer Elite.