1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on PrimeCast MDU operator?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by SteveInNC, Jul 26, 2010.

1. SteveInNC

SteveInNC AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    I'm considering buying a condo in Raleigh, NC that has PrimeCast as their operator. Each unit has a mandatory triple-play at $113/mo. Looking at PrimeCast's website, it is less than informative as to features, pricing, data rates, DTV package offerings, etc., so it's a bit hard to tell what said mandatory fee is going to get me.

The building is a high-rise completed in roughly 2008, so I'm expecting either a MFH2 or MFH3, leaning towards the latter since the complex does offer a door camera overlayed on channel 1, which other posts lead me to think is only available on the MFH3.

I'm locked-in regardless, but I guess I'm interested in other peoples' experience with this particular provider. I did a search of the forums and found two hits: one about unavailability of 3D (don't care), and one about particular receivers not available (probably installation dependent).

If you happen to work for PrimeCast, tell your company that their website has broken links: the convenient FAQ links for Internet, TV, and Phone all redirect to the section on online billing - not helpful...

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Glad I never invested in a condo!

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That is because only certain receiver models support MFH3.

4. SteveInNC

SteveInNC AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    Following up to my own post: I spoke with a local PrimeCast contact. He indicated that the building does use a MFH3. There is fiber to each unit, which is then terminated in an MP 202 which splits out POTS connections and network, along with QOS control and remote management. Looking at an MP 202 manual that I found here (nuera.com), it appears to be Ethernet-based, so I'm not sure how they get from fiber signaling to 100 Base-T, presumably another modem, or perhaps some MP 202 option. The manual makes specific mention of setup for Linux boxes which is unusual, but doesn't mention Macs at all :) (yes, I know how to do all of the above - I'm just surprised that Linux was mentioned when Macintosh was not).

For the default mandated price of $113, you get effectively one std-def receiver with what appears to be the Choice package (150 channels), an internet connection at 3/1 Mbs, and VOIP phone with CONUS long distance, 3-way calling, voicemail, and CID. HD service with a HD DVR adds those typical service fees (approx +$17/mo). Higher data rates are available for the internet at what seem to be reasonable fees (don't have the numbers in front of me at the moment), and a static IP is available for roughly $7/mo.

Another condo high-rise that I'm looking at does not have mandatory comm service, and supposedly has TimeWarner Cable, Dish, and DirecTV available. I assume that they have building maintenance tie the feed to your unit into the appropriate splitter for the related service.