1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optical Audio with HDMI video

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Teecee33, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teecee33

Teecee33 Cool Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Is it possible to use the HR-20 with HDMI for the video and still use the optical for audio?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Yes and you will be able to use your TV speakers through the HDMI cable and your surround sound through the optical cable.

3. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Yes you can, i plugged it on my 5.1 receiver and hooked up the HDMI on my TV and turned down the volume on my TV.
    TV is for video, and optical is for Dolby digital , or digital sound (for SD channels)

4. lflorack

lflorack Godfather

Dec 16, 2006
    Yes. I have my system wired this way (see diagram link in my signature for a wiring diagram). When you do this, the TV can play the sound as it comes through the HDMI connection when I want the TV only sound and the optical feed sends sound to my receiver.

5. Teecee33

Teecee33 Cool Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Perfect. I dont have a TV that has HDMI, but it does have DVI. Was going to use a HDMI->DVI adapter.

6. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    That will work and you can also run audio cables to the TV so if you don't want to use your surround sound all the time. Every output on the HR20 is on all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.