1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Option to view the show from the start

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TDK1044, Aug 31, 2013.

1. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    Does anyone know the criteria that the software uses in deciding to offer the viewer the option of going back to the start of a show when you change the channel? I notice that sometimes when I change a channel I am offered the option, and sometimes I am not.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I think if a tuner was on the channel or if it's recording.

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Correct

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    basically one of the 5 tuners of the Genie must be on that channel. for example a client on channel 206 and you are on the Genie and turn to channel 206 you will have access to the buffer since the client turn to that channel

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

5. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Directv should implement a Start Over feature just for the Prime Networks (abc,cbs,fox,nbc) for when the fall tv season kicks in.

You never know when you get in late from work one day and did not set up a recording and the show you desperately wanted to watch is already 15 minutes in.

You either have to pray that Genie recommends picked it up or watch it on demand two weeks later.If it was on Fox your screwed due to no On Demand.

Anyway, just a cool feature that cable has that I wish D* implemented.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I don't know of a single DVR other than the hopper that automatically records every primetime series. I think cable is just using on demand. And I'm not sure Many of them even have that while a show is on. Which cable company has that that you know of?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

7. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Brighthouse of Orlando has Start Over feature as well as a Look Back feature for up to 3 Days back on many of the popular shows.

Also they have Next Day Air on all the Prime Time Networks including Fox On Demand.

Their only shortcomings is,HD channels are getting overly compressed due to cramming of SDV and their STB's are cheesy.

http://applications.brighthouse.com/start-over/

8. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    If you "desperately" wanted to watch it you've set a recording.

9. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Nothing wrong with wanting your tv service provider to implement New features unless you like to be content and be stuck in cave man days....

Switch the Bucs helmet to a Bills helmet.It will help you think more clearly... :grin:

10. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    As long as those "new features" don't slow other things down and get in the way, no. "Record everything" is hardly a function I'd call "new" nor is it something I'd want slowing down my DVRs. If you miss something you "desperately" wanted to see then you weren't that desperate and it's your own fault.

Bills? You mean Southern Canada? uhhh, no thanks.

11. TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    I think if a tuner was on the channel or if it's recording.

I just came across this fare on my Genie last night... Pretty neat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using DBSTalk mobile app

12. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Brighthouse of Orlando has Start Over feature as well as a Look Back feature for up to 3 Days back on many of the popular shows.

Also they have Next Day Air on all the Prime Time Networks including Fox On Demand.

Their only shortcomings is,HD channels are getting overly compressed due to cramming of SDV and their STB's are cheesy.

http://applications.brighthouse.com/start-over/

Again, that all sounds like n demand stuff. You mean to tell me your actual DVR at your hose records all shows?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

13. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Brighthouse is doing it on their end.

Their 2 tuner stb's are still fully available to be used by the customer.

The link says it loud and clear how the features work.

Read it more slowly in case it went over your head the first time... :hair:

14. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Time Warner in NC does this, too. They don't need the Hopper's prime time recording because they have all of the channels on demand. In HD.

15. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Brighthouse is doing it on their end.

Their 2 tuner stb's are still fully available to be used by the customer.

The link says it loud and clear how the features work.

Read it more slowly in case it went over your head the first time... :hair:

No need to be rude, I said in the first place, your asking for the genie to do something another companies is doing, but they aren't doing it in their DVR they are doing it via on demand,so the genie still does far more than their competitors DVRs.

As for the on deamnd being available that fast, that's all about contracts and such. I have the impression we will see it with FOX soon... For all their programing on all their channels streaming and in full Hi Definition. We will see.

DIRECTV has what appears to be e infrastructure to do what the other systems are doing, they just don't have all the content just yet. All one has to do is look at show time and HBO on deamnd systems, as well as streaming systems for iPads etc....

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

16. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I apologize if I sounded rude,thats why I placed the emoticon at the end to say I was just saying it in jest.

Also Brighthouse non DVR's their regular HD stb can do Start Over and Look Back so its definetely at the headend.

Have you heard anything about Fox On Demand coming?

It would be nice if it finally gets added.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    When Time Warner started this locally, they said it not only depended on Channel, but show. So one might be available, but not for the next show on. They actually had a listing of compatible shows. If that's still the case, it wouldn't be as useful as it could be.

18. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I apologize if I sounded rude,thats why I placed the emoticon at the end to say I was just saying it in jest.

Also Brighthouse non DVR's their regular HD stb can do Start Over and Look Back so its definetely at the headend.

Have you heard anything about Fox On Demand coming?

It would be nice if it finally gets added.

No worries. And yes FOX on demand app for stream And such is coming soon. It was
    Mentioned during the talks about FOX sports channels and they said it just wasn't quite perfected yet but will include all their channels. Not sure what it will actually do but it should do a lot in theory. Now it sounded to me like an app for iPads etc. so who knows how long it might take DIRECTV on demand to show the same or if it will but I would imagine it will eventually mirror it like hbo does. That's just me speculating because the info was vague on what platforms this was going to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Primetime-missing-shows-fix
    Genie Only

If one is worried about missing a fabulous prime time show, one can set up a Series Link for three or four networks. Just set a link to record whatever's on at whatever you deem to be the start of prime time, and add three hours to it. Also set to keep only one show so you don't fill the DVR right away.
    I won't be doing this, but for the forgetful, this could help.

20. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    This is fine for the Hermit that lives alone but for a household of 5 people such as mine and at least 3-4 tuners are on live tv leaving only one or two tuners for possible recordings,what other options do you have?

And no I cant add another dvr to add more tuners unless you can help with my bill. :smoking: