1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Options to pulling off programs from DVR?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kepico, Jun 10, 2009.

1. kepico

kepico Mentor

May 24, 2009
    Tomorrow I am calling DTV for possible deals to upgrade to HD (I need two DVRs). Currently I have a DSR704 I purchased years ago and an R10

Couple of questions;

I know the DSR704 is mine and I keep it (not sure what I would do with it?) I'm not sure about the R10 though I got it through DTV about 4 years ago so maybe it is leased and if so I guess they take it back?

If I go HD there are some programs on the current DVRs I would want to get to. If I pull the HD and put it an external drive can I get to them? Or my other option is go and get a cheap DVD recorder and get them on DVD unless I am missing another option?

Thanks!

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You can't move the drive to a different dvr and access the programs. Your only option is to record to a DVD before shutting off the old units.

Both your units should be owned. I don't think there were any leased R10's. I would suggest keeping them active until you have watched all the recordings, then deactivate them.

3. kepico

kepico Mentor

May 24, 2009
    Just got off the phone with DTV to upgrade to HD DVRs and she mentioned if I would be sending the two (R10 & 704) back to them?? I said"...uh no...." odd to me why anyone would send them back if they owned them (she understood that I owned them). Anyway she had mentioned if I was going to put them on another TV in another bedroom and I did not think of that yet?

Can I just put say the 704 in another bedroom with only one line to it would I always have a "searching for signal on SAT2" message?

She mentioned the installer could run another line to it making it dual tuner but I think I am at my limit (that would give me 7 lines).

4. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    Limit? I don't understand. There is no limit.

You can rerun satellite setup on either or both of your old DVR's and it will detect that you only have one cable, and disable the second tuner.

Also, the TIVO units, you can watch previously recorded programming on a deactivated unit. I still have a deactivated D* Tivo in my bonus room which my daughter watches Dora on. Those units don't have the problems the newer DVR's have when watching recordings without a satellite signal.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you have 7 lines, then you should be able to have 8. The dish has four outputs. Once you have a need for 5 you will get a multiswitch with 8 outputs.

Wiring to other locations may not be inlcuded in the upgrade (it may be an added cost for you). Make sure you and the installer are clear on what will be included.

I don't know what the procedure is, but you can set the 704 to use only one tuner. Follow through the setup menu and you should find how to do it.

6. kepico

kepico Mentor

May 24, 2009
    Thanks! Appreciate the help!

So I can say take my D12 in another bedroom unplug it, hook up the 704 or R10 finish watching the pre-recorded programs on them and then unhook it and hook my D12 back up all without calling DTV? I ask because on the DTV website it lists the receivers I have and their locations.

If I can do it this way thats much easier than putting them on DVD etc.

7. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    First of all welcome to DBSTALK.COM! :welcome_s

The "room locations" on the DirecTV web site are really kind of meaningless except to make it clearer when speaking to a CSR (they can see your choices). Electronically, DirecTV has no way of knowing which receiver is where in your house.

Remember if you have a DVR that you are deactivating, be SURE it isn't connected to the satellite dish when you deactivate it because DirecTV sends it a signal making viewing of recordings impossible.