1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ordered my Directv today!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Moosestache, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Moosestache

Moosestache AllStar

Dec 7, 2009
    Ok, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my directv today. I just had a couple questions for you all. I have 2 hd dvrs, 1 hd box, and 1 regular box coming.

The big question I have is in regards to phone lines and internet connections. Do I need to have phone connections to each box, or each dvr? What about internet connections? I'm hoping for a SWM connection, but we shall see. Also, when the installer comes if there are options on the dvr choices which model would you suggest I request?

Thanks

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Telephone line isn't needed, but an ethernet one is if you want to use the On Demand feature on the HD DVRs. This connection could be wireless if running the cable is a problem.

3. Moosestache

Moosestache AllStar

Dec 7, 2009
    Do I need to buy something to make a wireless connection, or is it built into the receiver all ready?

4. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    1. You only need a phone line connection needed if you want caller ID to show on-screen when the phone rings.

2. Wireless is NOT built into the DVR. You have 3 choices of connection.
    You can run a ethernet line from your router to each recever.
    You can use a powerline adapter at the router and one at each receiver location to piggy back your ethernet signal over your house electrical lines (romax lines).
    You can purchase a wirless bridge such as the onle linksys makes (which is already supported in the receivers firmware).

Any of the above connections methods will work for on-demand viewing, the widgets, as well as networking and dvr viewing from the directv2pc app.

5. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
  6. Moosestache

Moosestache AllStar

Dec 7, 2009
    Yes I do have a wireless router.

7. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yoda's got it right....the link I listed would be the wireless bridge. Very easy to install.....if you are going wireless and not hard-wired directly to your router.

As you can see in my signature, I have the Linksys WET610N