1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Organizing Genie recordings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by c073186, Feb 10, 2013.

1. c073186

c073186 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Is there a way to organize Genie recordings by the client that recorded them, so it's more like each person has their own section? Or is it one big list?

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It is one list. When using the clients it is just like you are actually using the Genie so there is no distinguishing who recorded what. If you actually have other DVRs, you can specify to display the Local PlayList or the Unified PlayList.

- Merg

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    One big list unfortunately. We've made several requests to give us some sort of organization in the playlist but so far nothing has happened.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Tivo Folders come to mind :scratch:

5. wrj

wrj Legend

Nov 23, 2006
    Hopefully, DTV provides this enhancement some day.

6. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It would be nice if all DVRs had more filters beside Local and All.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    You mean like all the options in "Sort programs by category"? Plenty of filters in there for you.

List > - > Sort programs by category

8. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Any addition would be appreciated.

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I don't know what he meant, but for me, I'd like the options to select any individual DVR.

LOCAL
    DVR A
    DVR B
    ALL

(for example)

10. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    I'd really like the ability to filter the playlist to show only a list of "favorite" shows.

11. Starchild

Starchild Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    Totally agree with this. I Havel been longing for this option.

12. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Well those filters are already there.

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    He meant filters, which are already there. The rest of us are talking folders, which would be awesome. I'm with you, I'd love to be able to browse by DVR.

14. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    A custom filter would be a welcome addition.

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    First off, I agree that I would love to be able to sort/display recordings by some method more/better than local or all.

However, when you look at DirecTV across the board, Most customers that have a DVR have only one. Some customers have two and in that case they already pretty much can limit/view in a suitable manner (local or all when there are only 2 DVRs is sufficient).

However, extremely few customers have 3 or more DVRs. There simply is not the need to invest time and effort in providing sorting capabilities for those very few situations. That isn't to say that it won't ever happen, but it certainly isn't very high on the to-do list.

I also agree that as storage becomes greater, and more shows are recorded (by different family members), even on a single DVR, the ability to sort/categorize in some type of folder layout would really be nice.

16. Starchild

Starchild Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    This household has genie plus 4 other dvrs all whole home connected. The option would be nice.

17. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I do use Genre/Musical for my musicals I save, but the list doesn't show which DVR the recordings are on, nor the date it was recorded, nor can the list be sorted in any way.

But putting the PlayList in alphabetic order and then going into category does help finding dupes.

18. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I only have two, but I'd still like an option in addition to LOCAL and ALL. Sometimes I'm at DVR "A", but only want to see the playlist for DVR "B" (because our programs are on A and the kids are on B), but don't have that ability. If I'm watching from my kids DVR, I don't want to wade through 1TB of kids shows to find mine, and when the kids are viewing from our DVR, in the living room, they shouldn't have to wade through The Walking Dead and Dexter to find Spongebob.

19. VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    I'd like to see a grouping option. I don't mind seeing all recorded programs but it would be nice if the list was grouped by DVR location.

20. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Only the current PlayList Options of . . . .
    • Sort Programs by Category
    • Change Order of PlayList
    • and the really weak Filter by PlayList.
    It is the last one I wish they improve. Would like individual DVR at least.

And of course, the addition of Folders would be nice.