1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Original customer seeking alternative

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CouchTater, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Feb 9, 2011 #1 of 31
    CouchTater

CouchTater Cool Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I am one of DTV original customers. I bought my dish and receiver in 1994 for $800 and had to install it myself. Over the years I have been happy with my service and an ardent supporter recruiting many new customers. There was a time they valued their customers. Now after dealing with ineptitude and apathetic customer service people as well as a total lack of customer appreciation I am ready to cut the cord. Does anyone have a good alternative? I just bought a new 3D TV and would really like something with 3D channels or the promise of them in the near future. I really hate to leave DTV because I still believe they offer a good service but their customer service is abysmal and they seem to care less whether you are a long time customer or not. Their technical support staff is laughable. As a consumer I am more knowledgeable about their product than the tech gurus.

2. Feb 9, 2011 #2 of 31
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Keep in mind, they're still one of the best rated TV providers in terms of customer service, so it that's your only issue, you're bound to be disappointed no matter where you go.

If service is so good, why do you have to keep calling them?

3. Feb 9, 2011 #3 of 31
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    For technical questions, you can't beat this forum. But you have to want to be part of the solution.

Why not start by detailing one or two of your problems?

There's also a lot of info about re getting better results from the Mother Ship.

4. Feb 9, 2011 #4 of 31
    CouchTater

CouchTater Cool Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Okay in a nutshell. Bought a new 3D TV several months ago and had to swap my HR20 for a 3D capable model. They sent me a HR21 which looked like it had been thrown off a building. After several weeks it started to freeze up. I ran diagnostics and it failed practically every test and showed hard drive issues. Got a tech support whom I could barely understand. I could not make them understand my problem. They thought I was losing my signal which was not the case. I told them I needed to swap receivers but they refused claiming maybe I needed to "jiggle the wires", Today the receiver froze again upon rebooting received message saying there was a storage device problem and it would not reboot. Again tech support was no help and to get another receiver I had to be transferred to customer retention and spend almost an hour. after that they can still not guarantee that I will get a usable receiver nor one that is even compatible with 3D. I was told if it is not to keep returning until I do get one that is. I might add that I pay each month for the "total protection" plan. After 17 years I expect a little better customer service and appreciation.

5. Feb 9, 2011 #5 of 31
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I think your time as a customer is irrelevant.

If you're not happy, my suggestion would be to leave.

But, as I said, don't expect better customer service anywhere else.

While customer service issues are frustrating, receiving a faulty receiver and having to spend an hour on the phone doesn't seem like much of a big deal over a 17 year period (less than 4 minutes per year). If they said they'd send another receiver, I'd have them send it, but that's just me.

6. Feb 9, 2011 #6 of 31
    tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    And you should get better treatment one would think. Try emailing Elian Filipiak's department via this portal: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIFnorail.jsp?assetId=P4960016

Be even keeled and descibe your issue and poor cs experience. If you are indeed a good customer you will likely get a call back in a day or two. Ask for a credit to offest your going out and getting a new HR24 through a local installer/retialer or an online source like solid signal, sadoun, etc..

7. Feb 9, 2011 #7 of 31
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Contact Ellen why? They troubleshot the issue & offered to replace...seems reasonable to me.

8. Feb 9, 2011 #8 of 31
    Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    Did you ask for the protection plan dept when you called? That seems to be a key to getting a better csr. I hate to say it but if I get someone who is not being helpful I hang up and call again. It is unfortunate but sometimes you have to play CSR roulette.

9. Feb 9, 2011 #9 of 31
    tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Because the last receiver they sent him sounds like was was a beat up crappy unit. Plus, they could not even promise a 3D compatible unit that he wants. He could drastically improve his odds of a good receiver by getting a new HR24 directly, and by getting a credit for the trouble. I think that link is the best chance of getting such an offer.

10. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    All of this is completely un-necessary. DirecTV has a swap program for switching out non-3D compatible recievers with 3D-compatible ones, FREE of charge... Simply ask for a 3D capable swap-out and have them send one out. A Protection Plan, Technical, or Retention CSR should be able to easily handle this.

11. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I agree Retention should be able to do so. His report indicated that even Retention stated the could not make sure he got a 3d capable unit.. Maybe he should just call back.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've talked to all the other providers and you can't beat D*. The other service providers are all more expensive, especially if you have a complicated system. Do you have the Protection Plan? If you do, three calls about the same problem should get you a call from the Case Management Group and they might be able to fix your problems.

But, if you call Retention and tell them you're gonna cancel (in your case, you'll be telling the truth), they usually go to extremes to retain you. That's their main mission, to retain subs and with all the years you've been with D*, I doubt that they'll let you cancel without offering you a good deal. Just be polite, firm and persistent.

Rich

13. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I understand where you are coming from. The last time I was forced to replace a faulty receiver left me with such a bad taste in my mouth (cumulative with other, prior experiences), that I now an forgoing whole home DVR and 3D both to stay out of a new contract and avoid conversations with DirecTV employees. Like you, I am perfectly happy with the product, so long as I don't have to speak to any representative of DirecTV. To that end, this forum is absolutely invaluable.

14. CouchTater

CouchTater Cool Member

Dec 18, 2006
    That's pretty much what I was getting at. DTV is a wonderful thing providing you don't have to deal with anyone or fix a problem. Thats where they fall short and where my frustration lies. Additionally I was frustrated because every time I switch receivers I lose my programming I have saved. I work odd hours and my DVR is my lifeline. I had over 30 hrs. lost when this one went bellyup as I did on the last one I had to trade in. I just want one thats reliable. I really didn't think I was asking too much considering how much money I've given them over the years. Thanks for everyone's replies. Just needed to vent. I'll STFU now.

15. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    Well with every company you will lose your saved programming, thats not just a retarded D* thing.

Also, fear not you will almost certainly get a 3d compatible hd/dvr, but it will most likely be refurbished

And if for some reason you don't, your third call in will get you case management, and a potential tech visit where you can explain the situation to a real live human being (just don't take your customer service frustrations out on him, techs are people too!)

good luck though.

16. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    you would think directv would automaticly give anyone thats been a customer more than 10 years the newst hd dvr!, secondly if you want more 3D i would stay with directv, I have heard t:Dhey will be adding more 3D content and channels in the near future!

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    @Couchtater:

When you call up for service, make sure that you call the specified number for the Protection Plan. If you don't, while you might still get the correct service from a regular CSR, you are then dealing with a first-line CSR which is not always the easiest.

- Merg

18. CouchTater

CouchTater Cool Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to see how it goes with the next receiver. I shouldn't let one bad experience get to me. I guess I'm just old fashioned and still remember customer satisfaction being the cornerstone of a business. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I've had similar experiences lately with several companies and its left me a bit jaded. Hopefully there's people in positions of authority reading these boards and others that will work to change things for the betterment of us all.

19. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    There's a specific number for the protection plan? I didn't know that, but a Google search found it at the DirecTV site - 1-888-667-7463.

Last time I called 1-800-DIRECTV I actually got a protection plan CSR directly. He immediately handled my request for a replacement remote control. The "ON" button was no longer working.

20. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That's actually funny. But to answer your question, I think if you say "Protection Plan" at the voice prompt you get a protection plan CSR. Something like that.