1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT: Advice on whether to buy an HDTV now or wait

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Upstream, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    I'm looking to upgrade my primary television to an HD set.

Unfortunately DirecTV won't upgrade me to an HR20/21 for less than $300, which is more than I'm willing to spend at this point. Hopefully when my R15 commitment is up next summer, DirecTV will offer me a better deal on an HR21, or I'll have the option to switch to Comcast or Fios.

With an HDTV set now, I could still get OTA HD signals (but obviously couldn't record them on my SD R15).

So I'm thinking it may make sense to get an HDTV now for OTA viewing. For DirecTV channels, I'm hoping that an HD television will get as good or better picture quality (compared to my SD set) hooked up to my SD R15.

Does this make sense?

Or am I better off waiting until spring or summer when HDTV prices may be lower and technology may be better?

2. Dusty

Dusty Icon

Sep 21, 2006
    You asked a question only you can answer.

HDTV price will come down a little in Spring. Personally, I pulled trigger in late January after some deal hunting. New models normally won't come out until Summer. Aside from OTA, you can benefit from upconvert DVD players at less than $80, or for under $200 an HD DVD player, or for under $400 a Blu-ray player. But if you don't use it, there is not much point to buy one now. Things are always going to be cheaper and better if you put it off.

I suspect once you started watching OTA regularly, you will less likely to insist on a good deal.

3. bigref

bigref Legend

Sep 11, 2007
    My comment is to always buy when you are ready. Just be prepared, the prices will be cheaper the next day and the quality better. With your R15, you will not get all of the great DirecTV programing that is now available. Also the SD might not look as on your present set. You didn't say what you are using now

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, pricing will be better after Christmas .. you may want to wait. However, if you get the HD set now, you can start enjoying the OTA you mentioned and you'll be ready to go as soon as you find an HR20 at the right price.

Not sure where you are buying, but some folks have taken advantage of discounted pricing from Best Buy to apply that towards the cost of a receiver. You'll have to make sure you can get and HR20, though and that may be impossible to do through Best Buy.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Couldn't have said it better myself. That being said, I think that we will not see another 40-50% price drop in 2008 as we saw in 2006 and 2007.

6. VeniceDre

VeniceDre Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I agree, prices will drop again slightly in the spring as companies prep for the release of new models during the summer, but you won't see the crazy drops you've seen the past few years, plus you have the poorly performing US dollar.

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Assuming you already have an antenna, then you'll be set for your HD locals.

As far as the R15 goes. Assuming your going to go with a larger display than what you already have, it will look anywhere for slightly worse to total poo. Depends on how big you are now and how big you will go. The SD picture is optimized for a certain size. 27" or 32" I think. When you go bigger the compression artificats will become more noticeable. Some of that may be offset by using your S-Video vs Composet vs RF (ch 3/4) compared to how you are connected now. And the TV itself may do a little bit of magic itself.

8. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Wow, this takes me back on memory lane. I asked this same question of myself about 6 years ago. I paid $500 for a Hughes E-86 receiver from DirecTV. It had just dropped from $800. Non DVR of course since no HD DVR existed. :D

The times they change yet stay the same.

9. man_rob

man_rob Hall Of Fame

Feb 21, 2007
    I would wait until you have the HD box to upgrade. For the most part, you can see SD versions of OTA HD broadcasts, so you won't really be missing programming. Plus, as you say, the prices will be lower when you are ready to upgrade.

Hopefully Dish and Cable will have better, more competitive HD offerings, and Directv might be more willing to give deals.

10. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like I'll wait until after Christmas, when HDTV prices might be slightly cheaper and I can shop without the crowds.

I'll have to do a little more research on picture quality with the R15. That may push my puchase out to summer when I can get an HR21 at a competitive price, or switch providers.

11. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Just remember when switching providers, lower upfront cost does not always mean cheaper in the long run. Make sure you compare all recurring changes and determine what is cheaper over a 2 year period. Good luck on whatever you decide.

12. rynberg

rynberg Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    Wait until before the Super Bowl, that is often the best prices of the year. Either then or right before New Years.

There is no reason not to get a display right now, really. Depending on your budget, there are a few fabulous displays out now that have 1080p and can properly support 1080p/24 (from HD-DVD and BD).

13. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Very good advice.

I am comparing total cost over 2 and 4 years, including recurring and upfront costs.

Today, the recurring cost for the HD setup I would have is $2 per month more with Comcast versus DirecTV. Once I include the upfront costs (and new subscriber discounts with Comcast), I'd save several hundred dollars over the next 2 or 4 years by switching to Comcast for HD service.

But if DirecTV offers me a discount on the HR20 upfront costs, then they could be cheaper. I also have to take into account that DirecTV offers more HD channels. Plus I am concerned about Comcast's reputation for poor customer service (though my neighbors tell me they have improved, and my experience shows me that DirecTV has seriously declined).

I don't know who will offer the better mix of service/price when my R15 commitment expires next summer. I'll have to reevaluate then.

But based on the comments on this thread, I'll wait until at least January before purchasing an HD television.

14. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Since this a DBS forum, I thought you may be considering Dish Network.

Cable would never, never, never be a consideration for me.

15. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Quite honestly, I didn't even think about Dish Network. So far I've only been looking at DirecTV, Comcast, and Fios (which should be available to me in 2008). When it comes time to re-evaluate, I'll make sure to look at Dish.

16. wavemaster

wavemaster Godfather

Sep 15, 2007
    I have been in the electronics industry for years.

The old adage, "those who wait never own anything".

Prices will always drop and features/options will always increase. Today it's a 42" LCD for under 1000.00 next year it will be a 50" and so on and so on.

You should be able to get another DirectTV upgrade deal 6 months after your last.

17. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Well, it's been about 17 months since I got the R15, and DirecTV still won't give me a deal. But at the end of last year, I ran into problems with a defective R15, which started a cascade of DirecTV billing errors. But everytime DirecTV corrects an error, they count the credit as a freebie. So I reached a point where I was told that I had too many freebies on my account and was over my limit on credits.

Without the DirecTV errors, I would probably would have received a discount on an HR20, and today I would have an HDTV and a way to feed it.

Instead, I need to decide if it makes sense to buy the HDTV without a way to feed it (other than OTA signals).

18. wavemaster

wavemaster Godfather

Sep 15, 2007
    It makes sense if you are buying a square screen instead. I wouldn't consider a standard set anymore.

I have been spoiled with HD. Knowing what I know now, if I woke up without a set tomorrow and didn't have the cash for a fat new set, I would go without food and heat (or cooling) for a month to "get er done" - LOL

19. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Wavemaster -- so your recommendation is to get the HD television now for OTA signals, even though I'll be feeding it SD signals from DirecTV for 6 months. Correct?

Based on some of the comments here, I am still concerned the the SD picture quality from my R15 may look worse on an HD display. Do you think this is not a concern?

20. bigref

bigref Legend

Sep 11, 2007
    Just go "Do it" TRUST me, you will never look back. About those SD shows, you won't want to watch them!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.