1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA and 722 recording

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by davillan, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 15
    davillan

davillan New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I currently don't have Dish but I plan on ordering within the next few days. The question I have is this, if I have a regular antenna connected to the back of the 722 along with the satellite cable, which from the look of the back of the receiver you can do, will the channels that the antenna picks up be visible on the guide? Also, will I be able to record from the antenna channels. Reason that I ask this is because it seems that the CW network is not available from Dish in HD and there are shows that I would like to record.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 15
    ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    If you sub to local channels with Dish you will get the Guide data for your OTA locals. If you do not sub the Dish local channels you do not get the Guide data.

You can record the OTA channels. In fact with the OTA channels available you can record three programs at once since you have two sat tuners and one OTA tuner. All three tuners can record SD or HD.

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 15
    davillan

davillan New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Great, that's what I wanted to know. Guess I'll call to set up an appointment.

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 15
    Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    Just to add a little more detail to this, The OTA input can only accept ATSC signals, this means you'll only be able to pick up the digital channels in your area, not any of the NTSC/analog ones.

Also, subscribing to locals may not get you guide data for all the channels and/or any sub channels. Recently Dish added guide data for a lot of sub-channels, but not all.

If you haven't already you should check out the OTA forum here at DBSTalk and see if someone has started a thread about your DMA, it might provide you with more details for your specific market. http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123

5. nowandthen

nowandthen Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    Only one OTA tuner? I am thinking about moving over from DTV but if the 622/722 only has one OTA tuner that may be a problem. Since I have to buy the locals to get guide data do I then have access to major locals in HD (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) so I don't have to worry about only one OTA tuner? I will be subscribing to the HD package.

Thanks.

6. unr1

unr1 Legend

Jul 16, 2005
    looks like the major networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) will be on the 110 bird for your area.
    http://ekb.dbstalk.com/110list.htm

HD locals come "free" with the regular locals. You will be able to record them without an OTA antenna even connected. The ones on that list at least (not all locals are uplinked by Dish).

7. nowandthen

nowandthen Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    Thanks unr1.

If I understand correctly, HD locals would use satellite tuners not the OTA tuner, so I should not have any concerns should I want to record ABC HD and NBC HD at the same time. Is that correct?

8. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    Yes, that is correct. And, if you have an OTA antenna hooked up you can record a third program at the same time.

9. nowandthen

nowandthen Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    Thanks Bill!

One more question about E*'s DVRs. When you fast forward through commercials and then press play, does it have overshoot correction?

Thanks.

Now

10. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    I never use FF for commercials, it has a 30 second skip

11. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    And it also has a 7 second skip back in case you overshoot the commercials.

12. jbast

jbast Mentor

Feb 8, 2007
    Does anyone have a list of cities that Dish has HD locals via sat?

13. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
  14. nowandthen

nowandthen Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    Thanks oljim,

I don't care for a 30 second skip but that's just me. :) I prefer to fast forward, once in a while I will stop to view a commercial if I think I see something that may interest me, usually move trailers. Also not all commercial breaks are exact multiples of 30 seconds, so I prefer to watch until the program starts, then hit play and have it correct for overshoot. That's why I was asking, but YMMV.

15. nowandthen

nowandthen Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    Thanks Bill, I think that's what I was looking for. Is overshoot correction automatic or is it a separate button? Again I like to fast forward not use 30 second skip, press play when the program begins and have the DVR automatically correct for overshoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.