1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA and Diplexing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by jwd45244, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    If you diplex your OTA with your DTV, picking the right diplexer can and will make a huge difference. I was using the Phillips diplexers and and was missing a number of channels. Based upon reading in the Cutting Edge Forum, I replaced them with the Channel Master 4002IFD to combine and the Channel Master 4001IFD to split.

Holy Cow!!! What a difference. I got channels I was not getting before and the ones i had been getting are seeing dramatic increases in the signal meters. I was getting pixelation on one VHF channel here in Cincinnati and now. No pixelation at all.

BTW, these are not expensive diplexers At www.solidsignal.com the 4001 is ~$7 and the 4002 is ~#12

Best 19 bucks i've spent in a long time.

2. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Thank you for your post.

As I was preparing this roundup I was just blown away by the differences. It started when I needed to use a diplexer with the new Single Wire Multiswitch I am testing.

The best diplexers as you note are literally 12 times better than other diplexers that cost a fortune.

The amazing part if that these are not $50 each like you might expect. They are just $7 and $11.

Why would anyone buy anything else?

Still the best answer if you can do it is no diplexer at all. But if you want to use the new SWM technology this fall, a lot of people will be using diplexers again.

- Craig

3. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    If you have the SWM why would yu need to diplex if you use one receiver?

One STA line will run 2 SAT tuners and one wire for OTA right?

4. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    BTW, i was doing some testing and I can diplex OTA after the BBC converters just fine. My BBC boxes are plugged in just after my multi-switch and then OTA diplexer.

Works like a charm with no noticeable drop in PQ or signal strength.

5. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes you can do it now because the bbcs don't do anything right now, they have nothing to convert. The problem will come when DirecTV10 fires up and starts transmitting signals that will be in the b-band. Then your b-band converters will need to convert the signal back into a frequency band the receiver can understand. According to the DirecTV techs the b-band converters will need to be close to the receiver for them to work...no real idea what "close" means, but we may be talking about just a few feet. In which case the whole idea of diplexing after the bbc is going to be impractical. In a couple of months we will see!

6. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    Well, for me my BBC boxes are less than 20 feet away from my HR20. If 20 Feet of RG6 makes that much difference then the BBCs are fundamentally flawed.

7. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002

With shipping they are about $28 a pair. I awill try one pair to see if it helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.