1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

OTA and Rain Fade

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by BillRadio, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jan 2, 2014 #1 of 11
    BillRadio

BillRadio Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    I get rain fade once or twice a year. I would have hoped I could just switch to one of the OTA channels in our VP211K. Alas, the screen reads "Signal Loss..." and I can't exit from that screen to tune in an OTA channel. I tried rebooting the receiver and tuning the OTA channel before the receiver finds out there is satellite signal loss, but that won't work more than a few seconds.

Is there a work around?

2. Jan 2, 2014 #2 of 11
    NYDutch

NYDutch Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Upstate NY
    In my RV, I ran the OTA coax through an A/B switch that lets me select sending it to the 211k or direct to the TV. The 211k feeds the TV via HDMI, so the TV's coax input was available without needing a second A/B switch.

3. Jan 2, 2014 #3 of 11
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I think if there is an extended period of signal loss you are kind of stuck... but usually at first you can go to the EPG or into the Menu and select the Guide, and from here tune to one of the OTA channels. Once you are on an OTA channel, you can manually type other OTA channels from there.

4. Jan 2, 2014 #4 of 11
    thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    If I remember from my 622 days its Menu-->Guide.

5. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    What is the best indoor aerial to purchase to use with the DISH OTA module. I hooked any of my free coaxial cables hoping to scan n channels. None scanned in. I saw on the bottom of the screen the words Not Locked in the bottom left of the screen and he right bottom there s Signal Strength 0. No matter which coaxial wire I hooked up those two items never changed.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Why did you post this question in this thread and start three other threads?

7. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    its true that if too much time has past, your SOL. Might b able to watch DVR events at that point, but the only way to get away from that signal loss screen is to press menu and then DVR or GUIDE

8. Jun 5, 2014 #8 of 11
    BillRadio

BillRadio Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    Well, here it is, our first, and probably only, rain fade of the year, last night. Rain fades only occur here when the rain is approaching, the actual rain comes several minutes later. Unfortunately, I was in the bathroom and could not try any of the potential remedies. We only missed about 3 minutes of the Stanley Cup...which was available OTA.

I realize I could unhook a cable here, throw a switch there...but the best solution would be simple enough for any family member to figure out. I guess I need to replicate the LOS, however, I don't think I can just unplug the cable...I need a nice mylar balloon.

9. Jun 6, 2014 #9 of 11
    NYDutch

NYDutch Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Upstate NY
    If the dish is easily reachable, some foil over the LNBF would simulate a complete LOS.

10. jamelar

jamelar Cool Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Or empty soup cans

11. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I go to the EPG, scroll to an OTA channel and select.

When you get the "signal lost" screen the EPG is still accessible (because the lost signal may be with just one of the 3 orbital positions). If you have a DVR your recordings are also still accessible.

As for the best indoor antenna for a E* OTA tuner, I use a Silver Sensor. One of the channels it picks up is 57 miles away (I'm on high ground and that channel has a large coverage area). Just make sure you aim it out a window, if possible, for best results.