1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

OTA Antenna Channel Guide

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by mjf150, Oct 10, 2011.

1. mjf150

mjf150 Cool Member

Jul 12, 2007
    We have a 722k DVR from Dish Network. According to Dish, local channels are not available at my location, despite the fact that both of the neighbors to the north and to south have locals. So, we relented and hooked up an OTA to the receiver, which allows us to view the locals. However, there is no information in the guide menu. It simply says, "Digital Service". Is there a way to make the program information show up in the guide? FYI: We live in the Lake Charles, LA area.

2. rcadss

rcadss Cool Member

May 12, 2011
    You have to subscribe to your locals for the guide to show up for OTA locals. Silly but true.

3. mjf150

mjf150 Cool Member

Jul 12, 2007
    OK, let me see if I understand this correctly: I need to subscribe to the local channels, that Dish Network customer service reps say I do not qualify for, in order to get the local channel program guide? Will they let me subscribe to the local channels, even though I am supposedly not eligible for them. Will I have to then pay for those channels even though they say I am not eligible for them?

4. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Every market in the CONUS is now carried on Dish. It may not be the market you want, but you should qualify for one market.

Your Zip Code is how they determine what DMA you qualify for.

OTOH I recall a market that had spot beam issues (The Williamsport portion of the Wilkes Barre/Scranton DMA).

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Basically... if you want any EPG for OTA you have to subscribe to locals through Dish.

IF they do not carry locals for your DMA, then you can't subscribe to them... but I thought Dish had locals for all DMAs now... not necessarily all HD locals, but at least SD locals.

And if you subscribe to those locals, you will get at least some of the HD OTA channel EPG data.

6. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Lake Charles, LA is carried in HD from 77 along with guide data for for several sub-channels.

7. mjf150

mjf150 Cool Member

Jul 12, 2007
    ???
    Where do you find the guide data for the channels?
    What is 77?

Yes, Dish does provide locals for nearly every DMA, including Lake Charles. However, they told us that it is a spot beam issue. They claim that is why the neighbors to the North and South of us have the locals and we do not.

8. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Source: http://uplink.jameslong.name/locallist.html
    77° is one of the slots in the Eastern Arc, the others are 61.5° and 72.7°. You need all 3 to get all your channels.
    As for the claim, Dish doesn't have any donut-shaped spot beams.

9. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
  10. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    You a second opinion. One of the DIRT team should be able to help you. You need an Eastern Arc dish which is where 77 is found. If you were given a western arc dish that is why you are not getting your locals.

11. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    mjf150,

If you don't subscribe to locals provided by us, you will not get the EPG information on OTA local feeds. If you could provide your account information in a PM to me, I can see the options that are available to you. Thanks.

12. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Since Dish does carry Lake Charles locals, if you subscribe to locals ( everyone is supposed to get them whether they want them or not) the guide data will be present for most of the OTA channels you receive.

It sounds like you got some erroneous information, you should be able to subscribe to LC locals.

13. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Go online and see if you can add the locals, however your dish needs to be looking at the correct satellite. 77W

14. buntdp

buntdp New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    I live in and receive locals from Lake Charles, La. However dish does not carry FOX in my area and I do not get guide data for FOX 29. Just shows digital service.

15. Ray C@DISH Network

Dec 28, 2010
    The alternative Fox channel that displays "Digital Service" is due to the fact Fox is not provided by us in your area. To get the guide information for alternative channel, the major network feed (Fox, in this case) must be provided by us. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

16. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Always remember after you scan for your local over the air channels to do a"check switch" to repopulate your guide information.;)

17. buntdp

buntdp New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Why is FOX not provided? Been waiting for almost a year. Directv is carrying FOX29 but not DISH. Thank goodness for competition.

18. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Carriage fees dispute.

Just the opposite situation here, Dish has the local FOX station but, last I heard, DirecTV does not.

19. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    I have the VIP222K receiver and the optional OTA module installed. I subscribe to the locals in this city. When I plug in the coax from the roof antenna into the OTA module, the EPG guide works fine for most of the antenna locals.

Now, the question..... I can get a higher gain outside antenna and aim it to another city to pick up their different local networks. Will the DISH EPG show guide information for those distant networks from the roof antenna along with the subscribed DISH locals?

20. Ray C@DISH Network

Dec 28, 2010
    Chances are it won't. Alternate local channel EPG information is provided along with the local information you receive from us. If these other channels (alternative) are not part of your local package, the EPG information won't be included. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.