1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

OTA antenna help

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by terfmop, Apr 4, 2005.

1. terfmop

terfmop Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    I had time to waste this weekend so I decided to try something. I was wondering how strong the signal would be from a station approx. 75-80 miles away. I took my indoor amplified antenna hopped up on my roof and connected that antenna to my voOm receiver. Strangely enough, the signal strength meter on the voOm receiver measured around 60-65(once had it at 68). I though to myself (maybe wrongly) that if my little indoor antenna was able to get that signal strenght, then a bigger, amplified, outdoor antenna may really do much better. If it would work, then I could look forward to ABC in HD.

So, I went to my local Menards, bought a 51 element outdoor antenna, and a pre-amp. Got everything put together, got up on the roof.....and only got a signal strength as high as 55.

Why was my indoor antenna getting a higher signal strength?

2. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Those indicators are usually not "signal strength", but "signal quality" or a combination of both. The bigger antenna, plus an amp, probably caused the noise floor of the signal to increase (probably distortion byproducts), causing the "quality" of the demodulated signal to go down. Skip the preamp, and see how it looks.

3. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    Antennas are a tricky thing... It could be too much gain, not enough gain, or something else altogether. One thing is for sure though, There are antennas that can work for you, but the thing is, one antenna may work for that tower 80 miles away and not work for another tower that is relatively closer. For you to get all of your OTAs you may need more than one antenna.

4. terfmop

terfmop Legend

Sep 28, 2004

The antenna supplied with the basic installation (Winguard Sensar) works great with NBC, CBS, and FOX, but they are located in the same town I live. It's just that one ABC station that is being elusive. On the setup, when I am setting up the antennas; how do I 'put' them together? The setup now, is my OTA going into the switch at the dish. How would I combine two separate antennas? would I put the amplifier on the new antenna before it gets to the satellite switch?

5. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Three suggestions: check in with your local high quality A/V retailer and see if they have any suggestions; check in with a good local antenna installer and see if he/she has any suggestions; head for the AVSForum, find a thread for your locale and see if someone there has any suggestions. Bonus!!! Head for the AVSForum, Seattle thread and send a PM to Dan Kurts (AKA the Antenna Man). He is one smart dude who may be able to give you helpful suggestions. I love in a forest and get rock solid OTA reception thanks to his efforts.

And just remember, when it comes to OTA HDTV, the journey to get there is half the fun!!

6. snella1

snella1 Cool Member

Jul 8, 2003
    I know a lot of people install an outdoor ant. backwards. The small end is the Front end. Point the small end toward the station. The ant. could still pick up a weak signal from the back side.