1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA Antenna incompatible with HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by CiXel, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 2, 2007 #1 of 15
    CiXel

CiXel Cool Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Hey Guys-
    I called DTV today to sign up for HD and order a HR20.
    Here's the weird thing...
    They would not sell me an OTA antenna to be installed on the same day as the new dish because they said they were 'incompatible'.

This doesn't sound right to me.
    Does anyone have any insight into this?

2. Apr 2, 2007 #2 of 15
    Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    You can't diplex OTA into the cable with the signal from a 5 LNB dish (the Ka signals collide with OTA) - at least until the single wire multiswitch is released. But a separate line from the antenna to the HR20 works fine.

3. Apr 2, 2007 #3 of 15
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I use a Radio Shack antenna in the attic. Works just fine for my local HD channels. I am sure someone will chime in with the antenna site for you...

4. Apr 2, 2007 #4 of 15
    CiXel

CiXel Cool Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Ok... That makes more sense. Thanks for the info.

Should I still purchase the OTA from DTV so the installer will run the line, or am I better off just getting some other antenna. I'm in good range for signals so I don't need anything zoftic.

5. Apr 2, 2007 #5 of 15
    cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    You will definately be better off finding an appropriate antenna on your own. If your not to far from the towers, without any other big issues, it will very likely cost less that what D* would charge. Running the line is, perhaps,a different story.

If you are going to pay someone to do it, I would recommend starting here:

http://solidsignal.com/

6. Apr 2, 2007 #6 of 15
    CiXel

CiXel Cool Member

Nov 20, 2005
    That's great. I'll take a look at the site and come up with something.

While I have you all here. Right now I have 4 lines coming in the house from a 3lnb going to a 4x8 multiswitch. 4 of those lines are then cascaded to another 4x8 multiswitch. Will these need to be replace those switches or will they work with the new 5 lnb dish (I just wanna make sure they are on the work order if I need them to save some hassle and having to run more wires through the wall at the last minute.)

7. Apr 2, 2007 #7 of 15
    cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Definately make sure they are on the work order!
    When the new satellites go up, you will need the new multiswitches. The Ka band is outside the band pass of the older multiswitches. You already have the B-band converters, too, right?

8. Apr 2, 2007 #8 of 15
    CiXel

CiXel Cool Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Ok, Will do.
    Ummm... What's a b-band converter?

9. Apr 2, 2007 #9 of 15
    CiXel

CiXel Cool Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Ahh Google.
    Apparently....
    This converter up-converts the satellite signal transmitted in the Ka-band (250-750 MHz) into a 1650-2150 MHz usable signal.

Also according to Crutchfield:
    The H20 receiver includes the SUP-2400 B-Band Converter

So I should be good in that regard... Right?

10. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    There is a 4x16 Zinwell switch that works with the 5 LNB dish, but it is NOT included in a "standard install". Retail for the switch is about $200.

I have 4 DirecTiVos, so I have a 2x8 Spaun multiswitch. I had the installer put up the 5 LNB dish next to my old single slot dish and run two new lines from the dish to the HR20. At some point, I'll get the single wire multiswitch (when it comes out officially) and drive the Spaun off the two legacy ports. Then I can take down the old dish.

11. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Two of them should have come with your HR20. They are the brown dongle things that attach to the SAT inputs to which you connect the two SAT lines.

12. CiXel

CiXel Cool Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Ok then. Should be in good shape. Off to find an OTA antenna.
    Thanks guys.

Anything else I should look out for?

13. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Wolves, Bears, and Attack Rabbits. I hear NY is crawling with them.
    Seriously, good luck, and:

:welcome_s to the forum!

14. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    DBSTalk has a number of resources for you...

HR20 FAQ has 40 great resources including OTA...

What local HD channels might I get at my house if I used the right antenna?
    HDTV Magazine HD Local Channel Listing and Map or Antennaweb.org

(Avoid antennaweb. They will only tell you of half of the channels you could get...)

How do I set up the HR20 to receive OTA HD local channels?
    HR20 Off-Air Antenna Setup Wizard

Solid Signal are the people to talk to. Their prices are great and they ship almost instantly. They will also talk you through getting exactly the right equipment if you call them at: 866-374-4625.

What do I need to do to receive those local broadcast HD channels Over the Air (OTA)?
    AVSForum HDTV FAQTV Antenna FAQsChoosing an Antenna

Have fun. OTA can give you dozens of great channels. As someone said before, Solid Signal is the key.

Also don't miss the Installation Tips.

- Craig

15. John4924

John4924 Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    This is one of the antennas I use in my attic to pick up a channel ~70 miles away

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...p=&sr=1&origkw=2160&kw=2160&parentPage=search

Note this is only a UHF antenna, so this may work depending on the locals you are trying to pick up. This one works really well for me, and it is in my attic!

Since I distribute the antenna signal throughout my home, I have added the CM 7777 amp..

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=ANC7777

Make sure you get the installer to run a separate cable for your antenna input to the HR20. I had my installer do this for me for a cost of $35.

Good luck with the install, and welcome to the forum!

Cheers,
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.